Re: Do you seam seal hems ? (Was : More tarps and under/over quilts made...)

  • Matthew Takeda
    Message 1 of 30 , May 29, 2004
      ciyd01 wrote:
      >My concern would be that the silnylon would stretch more than the
      >cross grain ribbon and cause areas for water to pool. The extra
      >strength on the ridgeline would be nice for the reasons you
      >mention. How has the tarp worked in the rain?

      I'm using bias tape on the tarp I'm making now, since I think it should
      have no problems with stretch (it may also be lighter than grosgrain
      ribbon, but the difference is probably too small to matter). I'll report
      back after it's made and tested in the field. I also usually spray silicone
      on the stitching in silnylon, since I figure the silicone will soak into
      the stitching and at least partially waterproof the seam.

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 30 , May 29, 2004
        > Doug,
        >
        > That sounds fasinating. Are you reasonably sure that a stiffer
        > edging material works that way with silnylon tarps, or are you
        > speculating?
        >
        > Dave

        Reasonably sure. But I wouldn't go overboard with it. The less the
        edging is able to stretch the less it will go along smoothly with the
        syl-nylon. You could get into compatibility misbehaviors like
        rucking along the edging and uneven pull in the stitching. But it's
        something to consider anyway. (It's not even worth bothering about
        in the heavier nylon fabric traditionally used for tarp-making.)

        Doug Frost
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 30 , May 31, 2004
          Mirage, I have been thinking about getting .Mac. I would have to
          upgrade to Mac OS X something as I now run OS 9.1. That means buying
          the newest Mac OS ($100+) and then subscribing to .Mac ($=?). I don't
          have a web page or anything like it and what you did with the Gear
          Making weekend looks nice. What is the "Journal" feature like?
          Thanks. Bill

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
          > I hosted my "Make Your Own Gear" day (weekend) this last weekend,
          and boy did we
          > work our butts off. Quilts on Sat, Tarps on Sunday 3 each during
          10-12 hour days.

          > Pics during construction and completed are posted at:
          >
          > http://homepage.mac.com/dbryans/DIYGear/PhotoAlbum1.html
          >
          > (trying out a trial .mac account, so bear with any errors or what-not).
          >
          > Shane "Mirage"...
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 30 , May 31, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Fornshell"
            <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
            > Mirage, I have been thinking about getting .Mac. I would have to
            > upgrade to Mac OS X something as I now run OS 9.1. That means
            buying
            > the newest Mac OS ($100+) and then subscribing to .Mac ($=?). I
            don't
            > have a web page or anything like it and what you did with the Gear
            > Making weekend looks nice. What is the "Journal" feature like?
            > Thanks. Bill

            Honestly, I've only played with the "homepage" feature and while
            it's nice for integration with iPhoto and uploading albums, I've not
            played with the advanced features that let me edit html or upload my
            own html content.

            The "jury" is still out on it for me. The cost is $99.95 for a
            year, which is not bad for hosting and the other features.

            I have a Mac (OSX), WinXP, and Linux based computers at home, all of
            which I use in various forms and manners. I can connect to my .mac
            account from my WinXP and Linux computers via browser and can
            connect to my iDisk data from both as mapped drives as well.

            The trial is 60 days for free, minus some features, so give it a
            shot. I didn't think it required a mac OSX to get an account, only
            to integrate the iLife tools (iPhoto, iDisk, etc...)

            Shane "Mirage"...