Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Do you seam seal hems ? (Was : More tarps and under/over quilts made...)

    Message 1 of 30 , May 28, 2004
      Mirage wrote:

      >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
      ><polecatpop@y...> wrote:
      >

      >>Just a thought from someone who has not touched a sewing machine
      >>(wife won't let me). Would it be easier to roll the edge if you
      >>rolled it around something and then slid it out?
      >>Small dowel, soda straw, knitting needle, cord or wire.... etc?
      >>I am probably once again showing my ignorance. I am in awe of the
      >>stuff I see in the pictures.
      >>Ralph
      >>

      >Actually, they make (for most machines) a rolled hem foot that takes
      >the fabric and rolls it just before it get to the needle.
      >
      >It works great on traditional fabrics, and with some practice, I
      >might be able to do it to to my satisfaction. When I tried it, the
      >slick nature of the SilNylon made it difficult at best. I think
      >though, with some more practice, and a larger rolled hem foot, it
      >would be doable.
      >
      >Shane "Mirage"...

      I actually find it quite easy to roll the hem on the fly, without pins.
      I just need to keep the width of the hem even with the gage on the
      footplate of the sewing machine. I don't seamseal the hems, because I
      want the water which *will* collect there, a wick to leave the seam.
      The thread acts as that wick. On the ridgeline, I use a little silicone
      sealer disolved in white gas, painted lightly on both inside and outside
      with a brush. The effect is to get the threads to take up enough
      silicone to be very water repellant.

      Rick
    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 2 of 30 , May 29, 2004
        ciyd01 wrote:
        >My concern would be that the silnylon would stretch more than the
        >cross grain ribbon and cause areas for water to pool. The extra
        >strength on the ridgeline would be nice for the reasons you
        >mention. How has the tarp worked in the rain?

        I'm using bias tape on the tarp I'm making now, since I think it should
        have no problems with stretch (it may also be lighter than grosgrain
        ribbon, but the difference is probably too small to matter). I'll report
        back after it's made and tested in the field. I also usually spray silicone
        on the stitching in silnylon, since I figure the silicone will soak into
        the stitching and at least partially waterproof the seam.

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 30 , May 29, 2004
          > Doug,
          >
          > That sounds fasinating. Are you reasonably sure that a stiffer
          > edging material works that way with silnylon tarps, or are you
          > speculating?
          >
          > Dave

          Reasonably sure. But I wouldn't go overboard with it. The less the
          edging is able to stretch the less it will go along smoothly with the
          syl-nylon. You could get into compatibility misbehaviors like
          rucking along the edging and uneven pull in the stitching. But it's
          something to consider anyway. (It's not even worth bothering about
          in the heavier nylon fabric traditionally used for tarp-making.)

          Doug Frost
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 30 , May 31, 2004
            Mirage, I have been thinking about getting .Mac. I would have to
            upgrade to Mac OS X something as I now run OS 9.1. That means buying
            the newest Mac OS ($100+) and then subscribing to .Mac ($=?). I don't
            have a web page or anything like it and what you did with the Gear
            Making weekend looks nice. What is the "Journal" feature like?
            Thanks. Bill

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
            > I hosted my "Make Your Own Gear" day (weekend) this last weekend,
            and boy did we
            > work our butts off. Quilts on Sat, Tarps on Sunday 3 each during
            10-12 hour days.

            > Pics during construction and completed are posted at:
            >
            > http://homepage.mac.com/dbryans/DIYGear/PhotoAlbum1.html
            >
            > (trying out a trial .mac account, so bear with any errors or what-not).
            >
            > Shane "Mirage"...
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 30 , May 31, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Fornshell"
              <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
              > Mirage, I have been thinking about getting .Mac. I would have to
              > upgrade to Mac OS X something as I now run OS 9.1. That means
              buying
              > the newest Mac OS ($100+) and then subscribing to .Mac ($=?). I
              don't
              > have a web page or anything like it and what you did with the Gear
              > Making weekend looks nice. What is the "Journal" feature like?
              > Thanks. Bill

              Honestly, I've only played with the "homepage" feature and while
              it's nice for integration with iPhoto and uploading albums, I've not
              played with the advanced features that let me edit html or upload my
              own html content.

              The "jury" is still out on it for me. The cost is $99.95 for a
              year, which is not bad for hosting and the other features.

              I have a Mac (OSX), WinXP, and Linux based computers at home, all of
              which I use in various forms and manners. I can connect to my .mac
              account from my WinXP and Linux computers via browser and can
              connect to my iDisk data from both as mapped drives as well.

              The trial is 60 days for free, minus some features, so give it a
              shot. I didn't think it required a mac OSX to get an account, only
              to integrate the iLife tools (iPhoto, iDisk, etc...)

              Shane "Mirage"...