Re: [Hammock Camping] 7th SHHA Campout

  • John Kennedy
    Message 1 of 15 , May 28, 2004
      Thanks Rick,

      I guess I will break out the OR gaiters for this hike. Don't need any PI or
      ticks.

      Let me know when you have your pictures posted. Am very interested in your
      hike.

      John

      >Just got back from half the smoky mts as well as the miles between there
      >and springer.
      >
      >Moly's Ridge: Great shelter, recently renovated. Cage is gone.
      >Translucent pannel in roof. Water source pretty good, slow piped spring.
      >
      >Derrick Knob: not renovated, but decent. Great water source. Lots of
      >deer interested in seeing if anyone has anything to give them. Just
      >north of Derrick Knob, LOTs of pig activity. I saw two official park
      >pig hunters whiile I was out.
      >
      >The whole trail once on top, is lined with thigh high grass and
      >occasional poison ivy. Good high gaiters are especially useful when the
      >grass is wet. Despite OR gaiters and gortex shoes, my feet got soaked
      >the morning after a hard rain.
      >
      >You have not chosen to stay at some real pits. Good for you.
      >
      >Rick

      Get 200+ ad-free, high-fidelity stations and LIVE Major League Baseball
      Gameday Audio! http://radio.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200491ave/direct/01/