Mosquito Hammock--the Newest Camping Hammock available!

    Message 1 of 10 , May 28 7:01 AM
      Just found out about this new camping hammock--called the Mosquito
      Hammock. Comes with bug net and rain canopy! Weight, size and
      materials are included on their web site. Don't know anything else
      about it. Check it out at:
      http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

      Does anyone know this hammock?

      ....Ed Moderator Hammock Camping-L
      Message 2 of 10 , May 28 7:32 AM
        > Just found out about this new camping hammock--called the Mosquito
        > Hammock. Comes with bug net and rain canopy! Weight, size and
        > materials are included on their web site. Don't know anything else
        > about it. Check it out at:
        > http://www.mosquitohammock.com/
        >
        > Does anyone know this hammock?
        >
        > ....Ed Moderator Hammock Camping-L

        Ed, I had seen their web site some time ago, but have never seen
        one. Mikep asked about it post #5824 a short time ago but I don't
        think anybody responded. When Mikep asked about it I looked through
        some of their info again and noticed that some of their users
        mentioned that it had two-layers on the bottom so that you wouldn't
        have to sleep directly on any bottom insulation. Seems like one of
        them pointed out what I have noticed with mine, 'when you don't need
        the second layer you are better off without it because all it does is
        get in the way'. Ain't life just full of tradeoffs and compromises?
        <grin>

        Dave
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 10 , May 28 7:57 AM
          Dave, I think I remember that you were taking a DAM on
          the Christmas BMT hike. Did you do that and how did
          you like it? What "Brand" did you have? Bill

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 10 , May 28 8:11 AM
            <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
            > Dave, I think I remember that you were taking a DAM on
            > the Christmas BMT hike. Did you do that and how did
            > you like it? What "Brand" did you have? Bill

            Bill,

            Nope, I took closed cell foam pads on that trip. What I learned was
            that stacks of closed cell foam pads and long nights can make for a
            sore tush... are here you are tempting me with a nice soft air
            mattress! <grin>

            Dave
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 10 , May 28 8:47 AM
              Hi Dave, What about the DAM in a slip-in pocket under
              the hammock? They are a little heavy (around 40oz I
              think), but the Exped has an "R" value of around 9. I
              don't have one and have never seen one in person, but
              I don't think I like the way you blow them up. Bill

              --- Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
              > Fornshell
              > <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
              > > Dave, I think I remember that you were taking a
              > DAM on
              > > the Christmas BMT hike. Did you do that and how
              > did
              > > you like it? What "Brand" did you have? Bill
              > >

              > Bill,
              >
              > Nope, I took closed cell foam pads on that trip.
              > What I learned was
              > that stacks of closed cell foam pads and long nights
              > can make for a
              > sore tush... are here you are tempting me with a
              > nice soft air
              > mattress! <grin>
              >
              > Dave

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 10 , May 28 9:32 AM
                Well to answer my own question, I called Stephenson's
                and they suggest just putting the DAM in the hammock
                and just getting in on top of it. They have 7oz of
                Down in them, but they don't know what the "R" rating
                might be. The size I would get weighs 23oz. This is
                much lighter than the Exped at around 40oz. For winter
                hiking along the AT the DAM and my Down quilt should
                work well in my hammock and if I need or want to sleep
                in a Shelter the DAM should work well on the hard
                floors also.

                Anyone see a problem with this set-up?? Thanks. Bill

                --- Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
                > Hi Dave, What about the DAM in a slip-in pocket
                > under
                > the hammock? They are a little heavy (around 40oz I
                > think), but the Exped has an "R" value of around 9.
                > don't have one and have never seen one in person,
                > but
                > I don't think I like the way you blow them up. Bill
                >
                > --- Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
                > > Fornshell
                > > <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                > > > Dave, I think I remember that you were taking a
                > > DAM on
                > > > the Christmas BMT hike. Did you do that and how
                > > did
                > > > you like it? What "Brand" did you have? Bill
                > > >

                > > Bill,
                > >
                > > Nope, I took closed cell foam pads on that trip.
                > > What I learned was
                > > that stacks of closed cell foam pads and long
                > nights
                > > can make for a
                > > sore tush... are here you are tempting me with a
                > > nice soft air
                > > mattress! <grin>
                > >
                > > Dave

                http://messenger.yahoo.com/
              • Admin
                Message 7 of 10 , May 28 9:52 AM
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                  > Well to answer my own question, I called Stephenson's
                  > and they suggest just putting the DAM in the hammock
                  > and just getting in on top of it. They have 7oz of
                  > Down in them, but they don't know what the "R" rating
                  > might be. The size I would get weighs 23oz. This is
                  > much lighter than the Exped at around 40oz. For winter
                  > hiking along the AT the DAM and my Down quilt should
                  > work well in my hammock and if I need or want to sleep
                  > in a Shelter the DAM should work well on the hard
                  > floors also.
                  >
                  > Anyone see a problem with this set-up?? Thanks. Bill

                  I have read of at least one successful occurance of using a DAM inside a hammock.
                  The user said that filling the pad to about 80% capacity was about right (it needs a
                  little give so that it can conform to the hammock's shape), and that placement of the
                  pad and the user on it was essential. The user was using a HH, so he/she said that
                  getting it set was rather difficult, but once set it wouldn't move at all. In fact, he/she
                  mentioned that it was actually somewhat difficult to get out of the hammock because
                  he/she couldn't slide the pad out of the way. I would imagine that a top-entry
                  hammock would save you a lot of this trouble. Anyway, bottom line is that the user
                  loved it and said that it was a great winter setup.

                  -Jeremy Padgett (Hungry Howie & The New Sushi)
                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 28 10:15 AM
                    Hi, Thanks for the feedback. I should have said I use
                    a Speer hammock. That should take care of the in/out
                    situation. The 80% inflate is easy to understand. I
                    may go ahead and order one today. Bill

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 28 10:30 AM
                      Thanks Dave, guess I haven't been keeping up as well as I'd thought. Mikep,
                      did you actually get a Mosquito Hammock? Any comments on how it works?
                      ...Ed

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 28 7:38 PM
                        Bill Fornshell wrote:

                        >Well to answer my own question, I called Stephenson's
                        >and they suggest just putting the DAM in the hammock
                        >and just getting in on top of it. They have 7oz of
                        >Down in them, but they don't know what the "R" rating
                        >might be. The size I would get weighs 23oz. This is
                        >much lighter than the Exped at around 40oz. For winter
                        >hiking along the AT the DAM and my Down quilt should
                        >work well in my hammock and if I need or want to sleep
                        >in a Shelter the DAM should work well on the hard
                        >floors also.
                        >
                        >Anyone see a problem with this set-up?? Thanks. Bill

                        Does 23 oz count as a problem or as 23 problems?