need a quick answer...leaving tomorrow

  • shadesofblue33
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2004
      Hi everyone
      I'm going on a short vacation Friday, then heading to Springer
      Sunday afternoon. I have a quick question...need opinions. I have
      an emergency blanket (used) that I am using as a possible ground
      sheet if I get forced to sleep on the ground somewhere. How
      necessary is a groundsheet? I never used one with my tent, but now
      I am hammocking. I'm in a speer set up. It's not so much the
      weight, as the bulkiness that is making me rethink taking this
      item. I won't need it (I hope) for warmth. I'm taking my pea pod
      and my top blanket, plus long underwear, fleece hat and stretch
      gloves for emergency warmth. Do I take the emergency blanket as a
      ground sheet or not? I have a light weight pad, but figure I will
      take that incase I get stuck in a shelter. Please answer quickly if
      you can. Thanks!
    • Mark Bayern
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2004
        shadesofblue33 wrote:

        >Hi everyone
        >I'm going on a short vacation Friday, then heading to Springer
        >Sunday afternoon. I have a quick question...need opinions. I have
        >an emergency blanket (used) that I am using as a possible ground
        >sheet if I get forced to sleep on the ground somewhere.

        If you're going north from Springer how could you be forced to sleep on
        the ground? I doubt you'd have any problem going south, but I haven't
        done it myself.(smile) North -- lots of trees, lots of hammock spots.
        The ground is for walking on and for anchoring those hammock supports
        that grow so conveniently all over the place.

        Hang the hammock, sleep in the hammock.

        >How necessary is a groundsheet? I never used one with my tent, but now
        >I am hammocking.

        When I used a tarp, I liked to have something waterproof between me and
        the ground. Presumably your tent had a waterproof floor. The hammock
        _does_not_ have waterproof 'floor'. You won't need a groundsheet if you
        hang the hammock off the ground. Hang the hammock, sleep in the hammock.

        Best solution -- stay off the ground. Next best, use your rain gear
        and/or garbage bags between you and the ground.

        >I'm in a speer set up. It's not so much the
        >weight, as the bulkiness that is making me rethink taking this
        >item. I won't need it (I hope) for warmth.

        I didn't think a ground cloth would provide any warmth.

        > I'm taking my pea pod
        >and my top blanket, plus long underwear, fleece hat and stretch
        >gloves for emergency warmth. Do I take the emergency blanket as a
        >ground sheet or not? I have a light weight pad, but figure I will
        >take that incase I get stuck in a shelter.

        I'm in a Hennessey so I don't do the pea pod. For me the pad would
        provide warmth in the hammock. However, I can't imagine you'll be cold
        in early June with all that warm stuff.

        Have you tried the shelters? Stay in the hammock. The shelters have
        many permanent residents (small four legged ones) that will try to
        search every pocket of your pack even if they have to gnaw through the
        pack to get in, and larger regular visitors who will try to take the
        whole pack and carry it off (note the bear cables located nearby.)

        Stay in the hammock.

        Mark
        Message 3 of 4 , May 27, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "shadesofblue33"
          <shadesofblue33@y...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone
          > I'm going on a short vacation Friday, then heading to Springer
          > Sunday afternoon. I have a quick question...need opinions. I have
          > an emergency blanket (used) that I am using as a possible ground
          > sheet if I get forced to sleep on the ground somewhere. How
          > necessary is a groundsheet? I never used one with my tent, but now
          > I am hammocking. I'm in a speer set up. It's not so much the
          > weight, as the bulkiness that is making me rethink taking this
          > item. I won't need it (I hope) for warmth. I'm taking my pea pod
          > and my top blanket, plus long underwear, fleece hat and stretch
          > gloves for emergency warmth. Do I take the emergency blanket as a
          > ground sheet or not? I have a light weight pad, but figure I will
          > take that incase I get stuck in a shelter. Please answer quickly
          if
          > you can. Thanks!

          You never know for sure where you might end up camping, particularly
          if you are with other folks that don't use hammocks or you don't hike
          high mileages. If it makes you feel better, take a light weight item
          that you can use for a ground sheet (you will want one if you are
          forced to sleep on the ground). If you are using one of those 10 to
          12 ounce emergency blankets that are silver on one side and red on
          the other, you can save considerable size and bulk. You could ditch
          that and get something lighter and less durable because you probably
          won't need it and if you do it probably won't be every night. Like
          someone else mentioned, you can use a couple of trash bags for a
          ground sheet and save some weight and bulk. I sometimes carry a
          piece of 4x9 foot 1 mil plastic for whatever, one of those things
          could be for a ground sheet; it doesn't take up much space and only
          weighs 2 or 3 ounces. A few punctures in a ground sheet usually
          isn't too much of a concern because hopefully you won't be camping on
          top of a puddle... and there is always duct tape.

          I'm planning on being on Springer sometime on Sunday myself, maybe we
          will meet on the trail.

          Youngblood
        • Michael Tyson
          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2004
            I'm leaving NC around 12:30 and expect to be at usfs
            42 around 4:30 or 5:00. I'm going to hike up to the
            summit, then head north. It would be great to see
            you.
            Thanks everyone for the info. I think I will ditch
            the blanket and use the two trash bags I'm carrying
            for a ground cloth if I need it.

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/