OffTopic:PDAsQuestions

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 7 , May 26, 2004
      OK, please no one holler. I am beside myself from spending several hours on
      the Internet yesterday trying to understand mobile computing.
      (This is time I could have spent in my HAMMOCK, LOL.) I know there are a
      bunch of geeks here, so please, somebody help, and the rest of you, forgive
      me. In addition, if anybody calls me stupid remember I can get governor's
      press offices on the phone throughout the nation and have state police beat
      people up. <GG> So if you insult me, don't use your real name.

      When I was the governor's press secretary, we had Blackberrys. They were
      handy, but the small keyboard drove me nuts because I type super-fast. It
      was handy for when I was taking a Friday afternoon siesta in my back yard
      HAMMOCK and critical emails came to the office. Nice covering of my
      backside, kept me out of trouble.

      Now, I am setting up my own PR firm and need to make sure I don't miss
      critical business emails. I was in New Orleans for 3 days and an inquiry
      came in Saturday to my home PC and I did not see it until Sunday night. This
      email is on a dial up modem, and I have had the same one for several years,
      would prefer not to change it. I also have another account, but since this
      forum has been spammed lately I am not going to say where that is. It is one
      of the widely used free services.

      If I get a PDA (my roommate has offered to buy me one), do I have to pay an
      additional fee for the wireless service? I am already paying out the wazoo
      for personal Internet, home phone, cable TV, and cell phone. I am, of
      course, going to do a website, and could attach a new business email there.

      I had a laptop computer when I worked in government and I did not like it.
      Keyboard too remote from edge of case, hurts hands to type. Heavy, etc.
      Plus, I do not understand all this wireless stuff. I don't need a laptop I
      can use in my back yard HAMMOCK. If I need something at all, I need
      something I can use to send emails and check the Net when I am on the other
      side of the state playing or working or napping in my Mom's back yard in her
      HAMMOCK.

      I checked Cingular's website and the only thing they offer here is another
      little Blackberry-like thing.

      The organizing features are OK, and I would use them, but mainly, I need
      mobile email, without another durn monthly bill.

      I don't give an alligator's butt about being able to play games.

      Thanks in advance for your help, either here or privately. If you send a
      private email, please say something in the title so I will know it is
      virus-safe. My entire life is on this computer.

      FIREFLY
    • ciyd01
      Message 2 of 7 , May 26, 2004
        I'm not an expert on PDAs, but I have a friend who never leaves home
        without his. Of course, he's a real geek, not like me ;-)

        He uses a color PDA, I think he's using the Dell right now, but you
        can get PDAs from Palm, Compaq, Dell, etc and they are all about the
        same price. He has the wireless add-in card, which is about the size
        of a compact flash card. He does email, calendar, contacts, notes,
        etc. Data entry is with a stylus and you have to practice with them
        but my old Palm was pretty easy to learn and the handwriting
        recognition software keeps getting better.

        > If I get a PDA (my roommate has offered to buy me one), do I have
        to pay an
        > additional fee for the wireless service?

        Yes, generally. Some cafes offer free wireless but that's not
        generally the case. I'm not sure how much it costs.

        > Plus, I do not understand all this wireless stuff. I don't need a
        laptop I
        > can use in my back yard HAMMOCK. If I need something at all, I need
        > something I can use to send emails and check the Net when I am on
        the other
        > side of the state playing or working or napping in my Mom's back
        yard in her
        > HAMMOCK.

        A PDA would probably be what you need. My buddy's PDA will accept
        compact flash cards, so he can upload pictures to his PDA (watch file
        size, though) and email them. He can also do limited web browsing.
        I think the limiting factor is the size of the display and graphics.
        YMMV.

        Check out Dell, Compaq, Circuit City websites and see what they have
        to offer. You might get more information from them. Do some web
        searches, especially around the Intel Centrino stuff as a lot of the
        wireless technology is built around the same specs. Also, try
        Linksys, who make broadband and wireless hubs and routers. They
        usually have terrific application notes - I've used them for setting
        up my home network.

        ciyd
      • robi
        Message 3 of 7 , May 26, 2004
          a friend uses his pda all the time..

          never leaves home without it.. has a telephon in it adn he uploads books
          to it so he has sg to read when he is travelling...

          could be fun to read a whole novel on an extended hike at night, in the
          dark....

          robi

          On Wed, 26 May 2004 18:27:40 -0000, ciyd01 <ciyd@...> wrote:

          > I'm not an expert on PDAs, but I have a friend who never leaves home
          > without his. Of course, he's a real geek, not like me ;-)
          >
          > He uses a color PDA, I think he's using the Dell right now, but you
          > can get PDAs from Palm, Compaq, Dell, etc and they are all about the
          > same price. He has the wireless add-in card, which is about the size
          > of a compact flash card. He does email, calendar, contacts, notes,
          > etc. Data entry is with a stylus and you have to practice with them
          > but my old Palm was pretty easy to learn and the handwriting
          > recognition software keeps getting better.
          >
          >> If I get a PDA (my roommate has offered to buy me one), do I have
          > to pay an
          >> additional fee for the wireless service?
          >
          > Yes, generally. Some cafes offer free wireless but that's not
          > generally the case. I'm not sure how much it costs.
          >
          >> Plus, I do not understand all this wireless stuff. I don't need a
          > laptop I
          >> can use in my back yard HAMMOCK. If I need something at all, I need
          >> something I can use to send emails and check the Net when I am on
          > the other
          >> side of the state playing or working or napping in my Mom's back
          > yard in her
          >> HAMMOCK.
          >
          > A PDA would probably be what you need. My buddy's PDA will accept
          > compact flash cards, so he can upload pictures to his PDA (watch file
          > size, though) and email them. He can also do limited web browsing.
          > I think the limiting factor is the size of the display and graphics.
          > YMMV.
          >
          > Check out Dell, Compaq, Circuit City websites and see what they have
          > to offer. You might get more information from them. Do some web
          > searches, especially around the Intel Centrino stuff as a lot of the
          > wireless technology is built around the same specs. Also, try
          > Linksys, who make broadband and wireless hubs and routers. They
          > usually have terrific application notes - I've used them for setting
          > up my home network.
          >
          > ciyd

        • firefly
          Message 4 of 7 , May 26, 2004

            Yes, you are a Geek! The below is Charlie Brown’s Mama to me. But thanks for your email. I am going to do most of what you suggested.

            Thanks a lot!

            Marsanne

              Do some web
            searches, especially around the Intel Centrino stuff as a lot of the
            wireless technology is built around the same specs.  Also, try
            Linksys, who make broadband and wireless hubs and routers.  They
            usually have terrific application notes - I've used them for setting
            up my home network.

            ciyd

          • gear_collector
            Message 5 of 7 , May 26, 2004
              I run a small company so have had to stay tethered to email for
              several years also. I've used a smartphone as my cell phone for
              about 3 years and have been very happy with using it to check email
              and send short replies. I didn't want to remember to carry two
              devices and always have the cell phone with me so can check email at
              any time. Basically if you go with a palm or Windows based PDA-
              Phone combo device you can check your various email accounts easily
              (on Sprint the wireless web charge is an extra $5 or $15 per month
              flat fee depending on whether your phone runs on the old or new data
              network). The phone already has wireless of course so there are no
              extra cards or setup required as there are with stand-alone PDA's.
              For Palm-based phones you can download a free email reader like
              Eurdora and tell it how to check your POP3 email accounts. I set
              Eudora to leave a copy of my emails on the server so I also get them
              all when I return to my main notebook. In terms of the phone, I've
              used a now dated Samsung I300 Palm phone for over 2 years but have
              just upgraded to the much sleeker Samsung I500 Palm flip phone. The
              in-between I330 can be had pretty cheap on ebay these days - around
              $150 in like new condition. If you need to view MS-Office documents
              you'll need to buy add-on Palm software to do it.

              I actually just spent a week in Boundary Waters Canoe Area and had
              an external "Wilson Trucker Antenna" stapped to my backpack along
              with the fishing pole so I could check messages from the middle of
              nowhere. It's a shame to be that tied to work but it's better than
              the alternative for me which was not going at all. Back to the
              HAMMOCK topic, the MacCat tarp was fantastic on my trip!

              Hope that helps,
              David
            • firefly

                Message 7 of 7 , May 28, 2004
                  firefly wrote:

                  >When I was the governor's press secretary, we had Blackberrys. They were
                  >handy, but the small keyboard drove me nuts because I type super-fast. It
                  >was handy for when I was taking a Friday afternoon siesta in my back yard
                  >HAMMOCK and critical emails came to the office. Nice covering of my
                  >backside, kept me out of trouble.
                  >
                  >Now, I am setting up my own PR firm and need to make sure I don't miss
                  >critical business emails. I was in New Orleans for 3 days and an inquiry
                  >came in Saturday to my home PC and I did not see it until Sunday night. This
                  >email is on a dial up modem, and I have had the same one for several years,
                  >would prefer not to change it. I also have another account, but since this
                  >forum has been spammed lately I am not going to say where that is. It is one
                  >of the widely used free services.

                  For text only email consider PocketMail. If you can limit the number of
                  messages you receive, it works OK. The keyboard is just large enough to
                  touch type with my size 7 hands.

                  I plan to write an owner's review of the device for BGT in the next week
                  or two. It works great for journaling on the trail, downloading to any
                  phone with a handset (including pay phones) in a few minutes. It does
                  come with a price tag: $200 will buy the device and a year's service.

                  I protect my pocketmail.com account from getting spammed out by routing
                  mail through a forwarding email address.