New Bug Net

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23 5:32 AM
      I've designed a new bug net for my Speer hammock. Finished sewing
      Friday morning and took it out in the Berkshires Friday night, where
      the mosquitoes were droning and the black flies were biting. It
      proved prefectly bugproof and convenient to use. The design is
      basically a tapered tube of mosquito netting that encircles half of
      the hammock. A ridgeline holds it above your body. There is a short
      section of velcro on the end where it must seal around the hanging
      strap and ridgeline. The larger opening seals around waist level with
      a shock cord drawstring. Another short section of velcro lets the
      ridgeline pass outside the netting so it can be gathered around the
      hammock. You push the netting to the end of the hammock to enter,
      then pull it down around you and tighten the drawstring. I was using
      a light synthetic sleeping bag around the outside of the hammock (push
      it down to the feet to get in and out), and the seal between sleeping
      bag and netting worked fine. To use only a sleeping bag inside the
      hammock, I'll need to add an extra piece of free-hanging netting to
      drape down from the top edge of the drawstring. I'll try to post
      pictures sometime soon (may be 2 weeks or more though). My whole
      setup - hammock, external sleeping bag, internal fleece liner, bug
      netting - could be stuffed together in one stuff sack for quick
      deployment.

      DebW