Re: trip report and underquilt news

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 8 , May 18 7:22 AM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
      > A water knot is just an overhand knot, but at the end of the
      webbing,
      > it leaves a small loop. The nice thing about waterknots is that
      they
      > are easy to untie in webbing: just roll the knot between your
      palms
      > for a few seconds and that will lossen it up enough to untie it.
      > Water knots don't use as much of the webbing length as other knots
      > and are the preferred knot for webbing as they produce the most
      > friction within the knot, friction being what holds the knot under
      > load. All knots should be kept neat to reduce stress on the
      webbing
      > and maximize cinching. There are several ways of extending the
      > webbing and hopefully the explanation will suffice (it doesn't). I
      > think I'll take some pictures (later this week) and try to explain
      > it. Maybe put it up on the hammock wiki page, too.

      Ah, you were using a water knot _bend_ to extend the line. My
      mistake... I had this image of permanent loops set in both ends of
      the webbing. I've used that bend too. I'm familiar with knots and
      rigging, but lots of folks aren't so some pictures/info would always
      be good to have.

      I find massaging water knots to be irksome and have been looking for
      improvements. Ed Speer has suggested toggling the knot (inserting a
      clean stick, loose end of line, etc., inside the knot for later
      removal), which is as good a solution as any for the water knot.

      I think I've found a better hitch though. Try using a one of the
      "slippery" ring hitches to tie off to your carabiner: Bring the
      working end through the carabiner ("fat" side, obviously), then take
      1.5 to 2 round turns about the standing part of the webbing (overlap
      them partly). This forms a loop. Thread the working end through the
      gap between the 'biner and the round turns. To finish, snug the
      hitch down, being sure to slide the round turns toward the carabiner
      while pulling the standing part to remove slack in the loop. Because
      the end is trapped between the turns and the hardware, the hitch is
      very secure. To loosen, slide the turns back away from the 'biner
      while drawing webbing back through to loosen the loop a little.

      Doug Frost