Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: trip report and underquilt news

  • heimlichfamily@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17 4:11 PM
      From: ciyd01
      Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 6:43 PM
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: trip report and underquilt news

      A water knot is just an overhand knot, but at the end of the webbing,
      it leaves a small loop.  The nice thing about waterknots is that they
      are easy to untie in webbing:  just roll the knot between your palms
      for a few seconds and that will lossen it up enough to untie it.
      Water knots don't use as much of the webbing length as other knots
      and are the preferred knot for webbing as they produce the most
      friction within the knot, friction being what holds the knot under
      load.  All knots should be kept neat to reduce stress on the webbing
      and maximize cinching.  There are several ways of extending the
      webbing and hopefully the explanation will suffice (it doesn't).  I
      think I'll take some pictures (later this week) and try to explain
      it.  Maybe put it up on the hammock wiki page, too.  Ok, here goes,
      note that webbing = extenders and tree huggers = tree huggers
      provided with the HH:

      1)  With loops tied into each end of the webbing:  If the webbing
      will wrap twice around the tree, use that instead of the tree
      hugger.  I use carabiners because the spectra cord is very abrasive
      and could cut through the tubular webbing after a few uses.

      2)  If the webbing does not wrap twice around the tree, thread the
      tree hugger through the loops on the webbing ends and bring the tree
      hugger ends together for the spectra cord.

      3)  If #2 isn't long enough, attach the webbing to the tree hugger
      through the end loops and make one big long piece.

      Webbing, for top rope anchors, can be spliced together using a water
      knot, but I'd have to have pictures to explain it.  It's incredibly
      simple and, if it will bear a dynamic load (climber falling on it) it
      will bear a static load.

      You know, this really needs photos and explanations.  I'll work on
      this this week since I'm not the only hammocker who deals with big
      trees.

      ciyd

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
      wrote:
      > How are you attaching the tree hugger strap to the extension?  (I'm
      > assuming your water knot loops are permanent.)
      >
      > I've been working on cutting down the extra gear carried.  I'm
      using
      > a single Black Diamond Nitro (spring gate) carabiner and a two
      > extention straps.  One is flat 1" nylon webbing from the gear store
      > like you're using, the other is a poly strap I'm testing.
      >
      > Knots are the sticking point for webbing-- they take up a lot of
      > length, and most knots are prone to jamming, slipping or both.  I'm
      > experimenting with a knot that might get around all that though.
      (I