RE: [Hammock Camping] opinions on the "ideal" minimum tarp size

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 40 , May 12, 2004
      You've heard this from me before, but here it is again. My
      ideal tarp is 8 x 8 feet, with tie-outs at the corners and
      halfway along the sides.

      I usually pitch on the diagonal, and this gives enough
      length to nicely cover the length of my hammock. Since it's
      square, you don't have to figure out any orientation, just
      grab a corner and attach it to something. (Possibly, this
      distributes wear on the tarp, but I think that's a trivial
      consideration.)

      This size creates a comfortable space under which I can cook
      on rainy days.

      It's juuuuuust barely big enough to pitch in A-frame
      configuration if the weather's really nasty.

      It does require a seam.

      Bear
      Message 40 of 40 , May 28, 2004
        Dave Womble wrote:

        >If you are out where it rains pretty solid for days on end and there
        >is no other shelter except what you carry on your back, I'm thinking
        >that the extra ounces for a larger tarp can be well worth it.

        Amen! With the shelters of the AT, I find a more minimal tarp enough.
        Without them, I'd carry an 8x10 or 10x10 tarp.

        Risk