opinions on the "ideal" minimum tarp size

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 40 , May 11, 2004
      I've been using a 10x10 which requires a lot of rigging. (6 10'
      lines at corners & midpoint, plus I've been using a ridge line, plus
      4 stakes, plus a tarpskin).

      I've been thinking of trimming back some, but how far? A hennessey
      style diagonal tarp, gets rid of a lot of fabric and 4 guy lines and
      2 stakes. This is very tempting because an 5'x8' tarp would
      probably be sufficient. (I want to keep the top-load style hammock
      body, otherwise the HH asym might be the ticket.)

      Risk has used 5' x 10' tarp in very heavy storms and stayed dry.
      This is a good size since it can be fabricated without a center seam
      and doesn't require much more material than the 5x8.

      A down side of tarp minimalism is you need a waterproof storage
      system for your pack and non-sleeping gear.

      How is everyone getting along with those HH micro-tarps? Any ideas?
      Message 40 of 40 , May 28, 2004
        Dave Womble wrote:

        >If you are out where it rains pretty solid for days on end and there
        >is no other shelter except what you carry on your back, I'm thinking
        >that the extra ounces for a larger tarp can be well worth it.

        Amen! With the shelters of the AT, I find a more minimal tarp enough.
        Without them, I'd carry an 8x10 or 10x10 tarp.

        Risk