New underquilt

  • bobmac18704
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 2004
      I just thought i'd let everybody know my thoughts on my new peter pan underquilt.I recieved this last week and consider myself lucky to have gotten one this early in the game.I've been reading and waiting for someone to perfect an underquilt for the hennessey hammock. Well, i can tell you that time has arrived. As i opened the box and looked at it, at first glance i thought it was a quilt.Then i looked a little closer and saw the opening for the bottom of the hammock. This opening actually velcros right to the hennessey opening.A full inspection revealed excellent workmanship. A simple design that struck me as why did it take so long for someone to come up with this idea. I went down to the basement to try it on and saw that it fit the hammock quite nicely. I couldn't tell how snug it would be until i got someone in it to do the final adjustments. I followed the directions to the letter, on mounting. I was going on an overnighter on the AT so i decided to give it a try. I took along my blue pad just in case. When we got to the campsite i asked for a volunteer to try the hammock out. Everyone was curious so it wasn't hard to get a volunteer.When they got in it i looked at the adjustments and the damn thing was damn near perfect. As night fell i couldn't wait to get in so i went to bed early. I figured i'd try it with no pad and if i needed it i would stick it in later.I crawled in and used ed speers new top blanket as my top layer. Needless to say i was "snug as a bug in a rug". It was 41 degrees in the morning and i didn't feel a bit of it.No cold spots, and way more comfortable on the fabric than on the pad.This quilt gets top billing in my books. Ive been watching and waiting for one of these and it finally came about. Thank you Jack Teir. I would recommend this product to anyone. If you have been waiting like me then the time has come. Hennessey hammock people now have an underquilt that actually works. I also took the advise of using it as a down vest in the morning and yes it doubles as a vest.it looks somewhat strange as a vest but it is quite warm.You can see pictures of it on whiteblaze.com under peter pan in the photo sec.
    • Patrick Harper
      Message 2 of 8 , May 10, 2004
        Glad to hear it!!  I have placed my order and am expecting receipt in mid to late June!  Although I won't have any cold nights for several months (except for a possible canoe trip) I can't WAIT to check it out!

        I am sure that I will find that it has fulfilled my expectations!

        It's always good to hear another positive comment on this system!

        Thank you for sharing your view,
        Patrick
        Message 3 of 8 , May 11, 2004

          "bobmac18704" <BOBMACDOWELL@...> wrote:

          > I just thought i'd let everybody know my thoughts on my new

          > peter pan underquilt. I recieved this last week and consider
          > myself lucky...

          I guess I should consider myself unlucky. First I sent $30 to
          White Knight and lost that. Now I've sent several emails to
          Peter Pan's ID as listed in Whiteblaze.net and I can't even get
          a response. Do you have a way to contact this fine maker of
          HH underquilts?

          Lenny Nichols

        • Patrick Harper
          Message 4 of 8 , May 11, 2004
            Send him a private message on Whiteblaze.  He is really good at replying to those, although he is gone doing a section hike and trail days so he won't be back to email/internet until ~June 3rd.

            I hope that you have luck contacting him.

            -Patrick
            > I just thought i'd let everybody know my thoughts on my new

            > peter pan underquilt. I recieved this last week and consider
            > myself lucky...

            I guess I should consider myself unlucky. First I sent $30 to
            White Knight and lost that. Now I've sent several emails to
            Peter Pan's ID as listed in Whiteblaze.net and I can't even get
            a response. Do you have a way to contact this fine maker of
            HH underquilts?

            Lenny Nichols

          • matthulbert
            Message 5 of 8 , May 12, 2004
              The other thing to know is that he's "Peter_Pan", not "Peter Pan" on
              Whiteblaze. I learned that the hard way.

              He is going to be hiking until next week, I think.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Harper" <pharper@k...>
              wrote:
              > Send him a private message on Whiteblaze. He is really good at
              replying to
              > those, although he is gone doing a section hike and trail days so he
              won't
              > be back to email/internet until ~June 3rd.
              >
              > I hope that you have luck contacting him.
              >
              > -Patrick

              Service.
            • sedohr7682
              Message 6 of 8 , May 31, 2004
                Hi all,

                I'm a new member and am wondering how to get more info (pics,
                reviews, pricing, etc.) on these underquilts. I'd like to check them
                out for my HH.

                Thanks,
                Randy

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bobmac18704"
                Message 7 of 8 , May 31, 2004
                  Randy,
                  Here is a quick post regarding your questions:

                  Pictures:

                  Threads that have the full discussion of this quilt (and review):

                  Hope that this helps... I am awaiting the next shipment!

                  -Patrick

                • BOBMACDOWELL@WEBTV.NET
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004