Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Pad pocket for HH

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 16 , May 10, 2004
      Quoting rosaleen43@...:
      Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself. You may void the warrantee.

      While Rosaleen is correct, this sort of worry may be overdone sometimes. One of
      the really useful pieces of advice in Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking for me
      was the piece where he talks about warranty worry.

      Sewing something to a $150 hammock for the first experiment may not be the best
      example, but the point Ray made well, is that the thing is mine. If I feel like
      modifying it, I can and should.

      With some hammock sewing experience in my background, I would have no worry at
      all about sewing a pad holder in a Hennessy Hammock for my own use. I would use
      a zigzag stitch and keep the number of puncture holes to a minimum by making the
      stitch 3 mm wide and 2 mm long. My experience with many Speer type hammocks is
      that this will not weaken the hammock to the point of tearing the material. If
      I was really concerned, I would just sew the lengthwise seams and not worry
      about the cross seams.

      But, before working on that expensive hammock, I'd try getting used to the idea
      by removing a label with a seam ripper or by removing some unneeded straps on a
      pack or by modifying something that costs $20 instead of $150.

      Have fun!
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 16 , May 10, 2004
        At Lowes hardware:

        Reflectix 4'x 25' Foil Insulation
        Item #: 13358
        Model: 13358

        $41.68

        Rick

        Quoting Coy <starnescr@...>:

        > http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp
        >

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
        > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
        > > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
        > > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
        > surrounding bubble wrap
        >
        > > And how much where?
        >
        > I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
        > $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/
        >
        > > Ralph
        >
        > Coy Boy

      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 16 , May 10, 2004
          Tim:

          I don't care for pads wider than 22 inches, as they don't
          pack the way I prefer. Have you considered cutting a narrow
          pad in half -- for example you could end up with two pads
          that are 20 x 34 inches. Place these in a T shape, so you
          get wide coverage at your shoulders and narrow coverage from
          your hips down. If you put some silicone or sticky tape on
          the back of the pads you can minimize slippage, but I find
          with two separate pads it's not too much of a problem, and
          easy to reposition the pads even half asleep.

          Bear