Re: Pad pocket for HH

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 16 , May 10, 2004
      http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp

      <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
      > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
      > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
      surrounding bubble wrap

      > And how much where?

      I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
      $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/

      > Ralph

      Coy Boy
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 16 , May 10, 2004
        Quoting rosaleen43@...:
        Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself. You may void the warrantee.

        While Rosaleen is correct, this sort of worry may be overdone sometimes. One of
        the really useful pieces of advice in Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking for me
        was the piece where he talks about warranty worry.

        Sewing something to a $150 hammock for the first experiment may not be the best
        example, but the point Ray made well, is that the thing is mine. If I feel like
        modifying it, I can and should.

        With some hammock sewing experience in my background, I would have no worry at
        all about sewing a pad holder in a Hennessy Hammock for my own use. I would use
        a zigzag stitch and keep the number of puncture holes to a minimum by making the
        stitch 3 mm wide and 2 mm long. My experience with many Speer type hammocks is
        that this will not weaken the hammock to the point of tearing the material. If
        I was really concerned, I would just sew the lengthwise seams and not worry
        about the cross seams.

        But, before working on that expensive hammock, I'd try getting used to the idea
        by removing a label with a seam ripper or by removing some unneeded straps on a
        pack or by modifying something that costs $20 instead of $150.

        Have fun!
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 16 , May 10, 2004
          At Lowes hardware:

          Reflectix 4'x 25' Foil Insulation
          Item #: 13358
          Model: 13358

          $41.68

          Rick

          Quoting Coy <starnescr@...>:

          > http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
          > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
          > > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
          > > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
          > surrounding bubble wrap
          >
          > > And how much where?
          >
          > I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
          > $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/
          >
          > > Ralph
          >
          > Coy Boy

        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 16 , May 10, 2004
            Tim:

            I don't care for pads wider than 22 inches, as they don't
            pack the way I prefer. Have you considered cutting a narrow
            pad in half -- for example you could end up with two pads
            that are 20 x 34 inches. Place these in a T shape, so you
            get wide coverage at your shoulders and narrow coverage from
            your hips down. If you put some silicone or sticky tape on
            the back of the pads you can minimize slippage, but I find
            with two separate pads it's not too much of a problem, and
            easy to reposition the pads even half asleep.

            Bear