Re: Pad pocket for HH

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , May 10, 2004
      Tim-

      Try a piece of the grippy rubber shelf  liner under your pad.  There seems to be a range of tackiness to different brands, so look at more than one, if possible.  I find the stuff to be a great help. Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself.  You may void the warrantee.   I've read of attaching a line to one's pad and then linking it to the ridgeline loop at the head end.  That may help a little, too.

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen

      From: "mountainsport500" <mountainsport500@...>
      Subject: Pad pocket for HH

      I always seem to end up sleeping underneath my pad in my HH.

      Has anyone had success sewing a pocket to the bottom to hold a pad
      in place? I'm not sure how to handle the entrance as it seems to be
      a raised ridge which tends to interfere with a pad.

      All comments welcome.

      Regards, Tim

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 16 , May 10, 2004
        http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp

        <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
        > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
        > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
        surrounding bubble wrap

        > And how much where?

        I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
        $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/

        > Ralph

        Coy Boy
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 16 , May 10, 2004
          Quoting rosaleen43@...:
          Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself. You may void the warrantee.

          While Rosaleen is correct, this sort of worry may be overdone sometimes. One of
          the really useful pieces of advice in Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking for me
          was the piece where he talks about warranty worry.

          Sewing something to a $150 hammock for the first experiment may not be the best
          example, but the point Ray made well, is that the thing is mine. If I feel like
          modifying it, I can and should.

          With some hammock sewing experience in my background, I would have no worry at
          all about sewing a pad holder in a Hennessy Hammock for my own use. I would use
          a zigzag stitch and keep the number of puncture holes to a minimum by making the
          stitch 3 mm wide and 2 mm long. My experience with many Speer type hammocks is
          that this will not weaken the hammock to the point of tearing the material. If
          I was really concerned, I would just sew the lengthwise seams and not worry
          about the cross seams.

          But, before working on that expensive hammock, I'd try getting used to the idea
          by removing a label with a seam ripper or by removing some unneeded straps on a
          pack or by modifying something that costs $20 instead of $150.

          Have fun!
        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 16 , May 10, 2004
            At Lowes hardware:

            Reflectix 4'x 25' Foil Insulation
            Item #: 13358
            Model: 13358

            $41.68

            Rick

            Quoting Coy <starnescr@...>:

            > http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
            > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
            > > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
            > > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
            > surrounding bubble wrap
            >
            > > And how much where?
            >
            > I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
            > $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/
            >
            > > Ralph
            >
            > Coy Boy

          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 16 , May 10, 2004
              Tim:

              I don't care for pads wider than 22 inches, as they don't
              pack the way I prefer. Have you considered cutting a narrow
              pad in half -- for example you could end up with two pads
              that are 20 x 34 inches. Place these in a T shape, so you
              get wide coverage at your shoulders and narrow coverage from
              your hips down. If you put some silicone or sticky tape on
              the back of the pads you can minimize slippage, but I find
              with two separate pads it's not too much of a problem, and
              easy to reposition the pads even half asleep.

              Bear