Re: Pad pocket for HH

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 16 , May 9, 2004
      This might help better than the description I gave.

      http://tinyurl.com/ywn2j

      If you notice the pad is laid out across 7 6 inch deck boards. well
      5 1/2 really. so you can see the pad really is 40 inches wide. I
      also dont feel reflectic is the best answer for cold weather camping
      but it is faily cheap and the only way I know to get a pad this
      wide. My 27 in target pad is my main pad for most of the year.
      Underquilts are proably the best compromise of weight and
      compactability. I am saving for a down pea pod if I dont decide to
      attempt to make one myself.

      Coy Boy

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bflag_rollins_fan"
      > <chaz_b_jr@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
      wrote:
      > > ... My 40 in homemade reflectic/fleece pad really stays put...
      > >
      > > That sounds like a great alternative to an ever-shifting foam
      pad!
      > > How'd you make that one?
      >
      > Reflectic comes in 24 abd 48 inch wide roles. I bought (along with
      2
      > other hammockers) a 25 foot role. I'm 6 feet tall so I cut a 6
      foot
      > 3 inch section off the role and trimed this down to 40 inches
      wide,
      > I then trimmed a head section and tapered it to 24 inches wide
      fromm
      > my hips to my feet. Ended up sort of coffin shaped. I got some
      > cheap fleece, cut it to match the shape of the pad and hand sewed
      it
      > on. I prefer the 27 in blue foam but still use the reflectic when
      > need to double up on pads, like when it is going to be in the low
      20s
      > upper teens. I am testing another bag/pad right now for BGT and
      wont
      > be using my other pads for a while. It works great but is too
      heavy
      > for long didynce hiking.
      >
      > Coy Boy
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 16 , May 9, 2004
        What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
        bubble wrap or ????
        And how much where?

        Ralph

      • rosaleen43@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , May 10, 2004
          Tim-

          Try a piece of the grippy rubber shelf  liner under your pad.  There seems to be a range of tackiness to different brands, so look at more than one, if possible.  I find the stuff to be a great help. Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself.  You may void the warrantee.   I've read of attaching a line to one's pad and then linking it to the ridgeline loop at the head end.  That may help a little, too.

          Cheers!

          Rosaleen

          From: "mountainsport500" <mountainsport500@...>
          Subject: Pad pocket for HH

          I always seem to end up sleeping underneath my pad in my HH.

          Has anyone had success sewing a pocket to the bottom to hold a pad
          in place? I'm not sure how to handle the entrance as it seems to be
          a raised ridge which tends to interfere with a pad.

          All comments welcome.

          Regards, Tim

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 16 , May 10, 2004
            http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp

            <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
            > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
            > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
            surrounding bubble wrap

            > And how much where?

            I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
            $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/

            > Ralph

            Coy Boy
          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 16 , May 10, 2004
              Quoting rosaleen43@...:
              Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself. You may void the warrantee.

              While Rosaleen is correct, this sort of worry may be overdone sometimes. One of
              the really useful pieces of advice in Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking for me
              was the piece where he talks about warranty worry.

              Sewing something to a $150 hammock for the first experiment may not be the best
              example, but the point Ray made well, is that the thing is mine. If I feel like
              modifying it, I can and should.

              With some hammock sewing experience in my background, I would have no worry at
              all about sewing a pad holder in a Hennessy Hammock for my own use. I would use
              a zigzag stitch and keep the number of puncture holes to a minimum by making the
              stitch 3 mm wide and 2 mm long. My experience with many Speer type hammocks is
              that this will not weaken the hammock to the point of tearing the material. If
              I was really concerned, I would just sew the lengthwise seams and not worry
              about the cross seams.

              But, before working on that expensive hammock, I'd try getting used to the idea
              by removing a label with a seam ripper or by removing some unneeded straps on a
              pack or by modifying something that costs $20 instead of $150.

              Have fun!
            • ra1@imrisk.com
              Message 6 of 16 , May 10, 2004
                At Lowes hardware:

                Reflectix 4'x 25' Foil Insulation
                Item #: 13358
                Model: 13358

                $41.68

                Rick

                Quoting Coy <starnescr@...>:

                > http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp
                >

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                > > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
                > > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
                > surrounding bubble wrap
                >
                > > And how much where?
                >
                > I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
                > $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/
                >
                > > Ralph
                >
                > Coy Boy

              • David Chinell
                Message 7 of 16 , May 10, 2004
                  Tim:

                  I don't care for pads wider than 22 inches, as they don't
                  pack the way I prefer. Have you considered cutting a narrow
                  pad in half -- for example you could end up with two pads
                  that are 20 x 34 inches. Place these in a T shape, so you
                  get wide coverage at your shoulders and narrow coverage from
                  your hips down. If you put some silicone or sticky tape on
                  the back of the pads you can minimize slippage, but I find
                  with two separate pads it's not too much of a problem, and
                  easy to reposition the pads even half asleep.

                  Bear