Re: Pad pocket for HH

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 16 , May 9 9:43 PM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bflag_rollins_fan"
      <chaz_b_jr@y...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...> wrote:
      > ... My 40 in homemade reflectic/fleece pad really stays put...
      >
      > That sounds like a great alternative to an ever-shifting foam pad!
      > How'd you make that one?

      Reflectic comes in 24 abd 48 inch wide roles. I bought (along with 2
      other hammockers) a 25 foot role. I'm 6 feet tall so I cut a 6 foot
      3 inch section off the role and trimed this down to 40 inches wide,
      I then trimmed a head section and tapered it to 24 inches wide fromm
      my hips to my feet. Ended up sort of coffin shaped. I got some
      cheap fleece, cut it to match the shape of the pad and hand sewed it
      on. I prefer the 27 in blue foam but still use the reflectic when i
      need to double up on pads, like when it is going to be in the low 20s
      upper teens. I am testing another bag/pad right now for BGT and wont
      be using my other pads for a while. It works great but is too heavy
      for long didynce hiking.

      Coy Boy
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 16 , May 9 9:53 PM
        Hi Tom

        Here is a pic of the pad on my backpack. scrool down just a little

        http://tinyurl.com/yst8b

        Yes it is bulky but still managble. I fold each side to the middle
        which makes the pad 20 inches wide before I roll it up. I have to
        cover it if its raining cause the fleece will get wet. The reflectic
        by itself wont absorb any water.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Palmer" <boydpalmer@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Coy,
        > How cold do you use the reflectic/fleece pad? How compact is it
        carry?
        > Thanks,
        > Palmer
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...> wrote:
        > > Hi Tim
        > >
        > > If you haven't already, get a wider pad. My 27 in foam and 25 in
        > > Hinman Pad both stay put pretty well. My 40 in homemade
        > > reflectic/fleece pad really stays put.
        > >
        > > Coy Boy
        > >
        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mountainsport500"
        > > <mountainsport500@y...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I always seem to end up sleeping underneath my pad in my HH.
        > > >
        > > > Has anyone had success sewing a pocket to the bottom to hold a
        > pad
        > > > in place? I'm not sure how to handle the entrance as it seems
        > be
        > > > a raised ridge which tends to interfere with a pad.
        > > >
        > > > All comments welcome.
        > > >
        > > > Regards, Tim
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 16 , May 9 10:17 PM
          This might help better than the description I gave.

          http://tinyurl.com/ywn2j

          If you notice the pad is laid out across 7 6 inch deck boards. well
          5 1/2 really. so you can see the pad really is 40 inches wide. I
          also dont feel reflectic is the best answer for cold weather camping
          but it is faily cheap and the only way I know to get a pad this
          wide. My 27 in target pad is my main pad for most of the year.
          Underquilts are proably the best compromise of weight and
          compactability. I am saving for a down pea pod if I dont decide to
          attempt to make one myself.

          Coy Boy

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bflag_rollins_fan"
          > <chaz_b_jr@y...> wrote:
          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
          wrote:
          > > ... My 40 in homemade reflectic/fleece pad really stays put...
          > >
          > > That sounds like a great alternative to an ever-shifting foam
          pad!
          > > How'd you make that one?
          >
          > Reflectic comes in 24 abd 48 inch wide roles. I bought (along with
          2
          > other hammockers) a 25 foot role. I'm 6 feet tall so I cut a 6
          foot
          > 3 inch section off the role and trimed this down to 40 inches
          wide,
          > I then trimmed a head section and tapered it to 24 inches wide
          fromm
          > my hips to my feet. Ended up sort of coffin shaped. I got some
          > cheap fleece, cut it to match the shape of the pad and hand sewed
          it
          > on. I prefer the 27 in blue foam but still use the reflectic when
          > need to double up on pads, like when it is going to be in the low
          20s
          > upper teens. I am testing another bag/pad right now for BGT and
          wont
          > be using my other pads for a while. It works great but is too
          heavy
          > for long didynce hiking.
          >
          > Coy Boy
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 16 , May 9 10:30 PM
            What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
            bubble wrap or ????
            And how much where?

            Ralph

          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , May 10 3:33 AM
              Tim-

              Try a piece of the grippy rubber shelf  liner under your pad.  There seems to be a range of tackiness to different brands, so look at more than one, if possible.  I find the stuff to be a great help. Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself.  You may void the warrantee.   I've read of attaching a line to one's pad and then linking it to the ridgeline loop at the head end.  That may help a little, too.

              Cheers!

              Rosaleen

              From: "mountainsport500" <mountainsport500@...>
              Subject: Pad pocket for HH

              I always seem to end up sleeping underneath my pad in my HH.

              Has anyone had success sewing a pocket to the bottom to hold a pad
              in place? I'm not sure how to handle the entrance as it seems to be

              Message 6 of 16 , May 10 4:46 AM
                http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp

                <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
                > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
                surrounding bubble wrap

                > And how much where?

                I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
                $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/

                > Ralph

                Coy Boy
              • ra1@imrisk.com
                Message 7 of 16 , May 10 7:53 AM
                  Quoting rosaleen43@...:
                  Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself. You may void the warrantee.

                  While Rosaleen is correct, this sort of worry may be overdone sometimes. One of
                  the really useful pieces of advice in Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking for me
                  was the piece where he talks about warranty worry.

                  Sewing something to a $150 hammock for the first experiment may not be the best
                  example, but the point Ray made well, is that the thing is mine. If I feel like
                  modifying it, I can and should.

                  With some hammock sewing experience in my background, I would have no worry at
                  all about sewing a pad holder in a Hennessy Hammock for my own use. I would use
                  a zigzag stitch and keep the number of puncture holes to a minimum by making the
                  stitch 3 mm wide and 2 mm long. My experience with many Speer type hammocks is
                  that this will not weaken the hammock to the point of tearing the material. If
                  I was really concerned, I would just sew the lengthwise seams and not worry
                  about the cross seams.

                  But, before working on that expensive hammock, I'd try getting used to the idea
                  by removing a label with a seam ripper or by removing some unneeded straps on a
                  pack or by modifying something that costs $20 instead of $150.

                  Have fun!
                • ra1@imrisk.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 10 7:57 AM
                    At Lowes hardware:

                    Reflectix 4'x 25' Foil Insulation
                    Item #: 13358
                    Model: 13358

                    $41.68

                    Rick

                    Quoting Coy <starnescr@...>:

                    > http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp
                    >

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                    > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                    > > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
                    > > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
                    > surrounding bubble wrap
                    >
                    > > And how much where?
                    >
                    > I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
                    > $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/
                    >
                    > > Ralph
                    >
                    > Coy Boy

                  • David Chinell
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10 8:49 AM
                      Tim:

                      I don't care for pads wider than 22 inches, as they don't
                      pack the way I prefer. Have you considered cutting a narrow
                      pad in half -- for example you could end up with two pads
                      that are 20 x 34 inches. Place these in a T shape, so you
                      get wide coverage at your shoulders and narrow coverage from
                      your hips down. If you put some silicone or sticky tape on
                      the back of the pads you can minimize slippage, but I find
                      with two separate pads it's not too much of a problem, and
                      easy to reposition the pads even half asleep.

                      Bear