Re: Pad pocket for HH

  • bflag_rollins_fan
    Message 1 of 16 , May 9 11:02 AM
      ... My 40 in homemade reflectic/fleece pad really stays put...

      That sounds like a great alternative to an ever-shifting foam pad!
      How'd you make that one?
    • Tom Palmer
      Message 2 of 16 , May 9 1:13 PM
        Hi Coy,
        How cold do you use the reflectic/fleece pad? How compact is it carry?
        Thanks,
        Palmer
        > Hi Tim
        >
        > If you haven't already, get a wider pad. My 27 in foam and 25 in
        > Hinman Pad both stay put pretty well. My 40 in homemade
        > reflectic/fleece pad really stays put.
        >
        > Coy Boy
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mountainsport500"
        > <mountainsport500@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I always seem to end up sleeping underneath my pad in my HH.
        > >
        > > Has anyone had success sewing a pocket to the bottom to hold a
        pad
        > > in place? I'm not sure how to handle the entrance as it seems to
        be
        > > a raised ridge which tends to interfere with a pad.
        > >
        > > All comments welcome.
        > >
        > > Regards, Tim
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 16 , May 9 9:43 PM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bflag_rollins_fan"
          <chaz_b_jr@y...> wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...> wrote:
          > ... My 40 in homemade reflectic/fleece pad really stays put...
          >
          > That sounds like a great alternative to an ever-shifting foam pad!
          > How'd you make that one?

          Reflectic comes in 24 abd 48 inch wide roles. I bought (along with 2
          other hammockers) a 25 foot role. I'm 6 feet tall so I cut a 6 foot
          3 inch section off the role and trimed this down to 40 inches wide,
          I then trimmed a head section and tapered it to 24 inches wide fromm
          my hips to my feet. Ended up sort of coffin shaped. I got some
          cheap fleece, cut it to match the shape of the pad and hand sewed it
          on. I prefer the 27 in blue foam but still use the reflectic when i
          need to double up on pads, like when it is going to be in the low 20s
          upper teens. I am testing another bag/pad right now for BGT and wont
          be using my other pads for a while. It works great but is too heavy
          for long didynce hiking.

          Coy Boy
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 16 , May 9 9:53 PM
            Hi Tom

            Here is a pic of the pad on my backpack. scrool down just a little

            http://tinyurl.com/yst8b

            Yes it is bulky but still managble. I fold each side to the middle
            which makes the pad 20 inches wide before I roll it up. I have to
            cover it if its raining cause the fleece will get wet. The reflectic
            by itself wont absorb any water.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Palmer" <boydpalmer@y...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Coy,
            > How cold do you use the reflectic/fleece pad? How compact is it
            carry?
            > Thanks,
            > Palmer
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...> wrote:
            > > Hi Tim
            > >
            > > If you haven't already, get a wider pad. My 27 in foam and 25 in
            > > Hinman Pad both stay put pretty well. My 40 in homemade
            > > reflectic/fleece pad really stays put.
            > >
            > > Coy Boy
            > >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mountainsport500"
            > > <mountainsport500@y...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I always seem to end up sleeping underneath my pad in my HH.
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone had success sewing a pocket to the bottom to hold a
            > pad
            > > > in place? I'm not sure how to handle the entrance as it seems
            > be
            > > > a raised ridge which tends to interfere with a pad.
            > > >
            > > > All comments welcome.
            > > >
            > > > Regards, Tim
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 16 , May 9 10:17 PM
              This might help better than the description I gave.

              http://tinyurl.com/ywn2j

              If you notice the pad is laid out across 7 6 inch deck boards. well
              5 1/2 really. so you can see the pad really is 40 inches wide. I
              also dont feel reflectic is the best answer for cold weather camping
              but it is faily cheap and the only way I know to get a pad this
              wide. My 27 in target pad is my main pad for most of the year.
              Underquilts are proably the best compromise of weight and
              compactability. I am saving for a down pea pod if I dont decide to
              attempt to make one myself.

              Coy Boy

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bflag_rollins_fan"
              > <chaz_b_jr@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
              wrote:
              > > ... My 40 in homemade reflectic/fleece pad really stays put...
              > >
              > > That sounds like a great alternative to an ever-shifting foam
              pad!
              > > How'd you make that one?
              >
              > Reflectic comes in 24 abd 48 inch wide roles. I bought (along with
              2
              > other hammockers) a 25 foot role. I'm 6 feet tall so I cut a 6
              foot
              > 3 inch section off the role and trimed this down to 40 inches
              wide,
              > I then trimmed a head section and tapered it to 24 inches wide
              fromm
              > my hips to my feet. Ended up sort of coffin shaped. I got some
              > cheap fleece, cut it to match the shape of the pad and hand sewed
              it
              > on. I prefer the 27 in blue foam but still use the reflectic when
              > need to double up on pads, like when it is going to be in the low
              20s
              > upper teens. I am testing another bag/pad right now for BGT and
              wont
              > be using my other pads for a while. It works great but is too
              heavy
              > for long didynce hiking.
              >
              > Coy Boy
            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 16 , May 9 10:30 PM
                What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
                bubble wrap or ????
                And how much where?

                Ralph

              • rosaleen43@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , May 10 3:33 AM
                  Tim-

                  Try a piece of the grippy rubber shelf  liner under your pad.  There seems to be a range of tackiness to different brands, so look at more than one, if possible.  I find the stuff to be a great help. Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself.  You may void the warrantee.   I've read of attaching a line to one's pad and then linking it to the ridgeline loop at the head end.  That may help a little, too.

                  Cheers!

                  Rosaleen

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 10 4:46 AM
                    http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp

                    <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                    > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
                    > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
                    surrounding bubble wrap

                    > And how much where?

                    I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
                    $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/

                    > Ralph

                    Coy Boy
                  • ra1@imrisk.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10 7:53 AM
                      Quoting rosaleen43@...:
                      Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself. You may void the warrantee.

                      While Rosaleen is correct, this sort of worry may be overdone sometimes. One of
                      the really useful pieces of advice in Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking for me
                      was the piece where he talks about warranty worry.

                      Sewing something to a $150 hammock for the first experiment may not be the best
                      example, but the point Ray made well, is that the thing is mine. If I feel like
                      modifying it, I can and should.

                      With some hammock sewing experience in my background, I would have no worry at
                      all about sewing a pad holder in a Hennessy Hammock for my own use. I would use
                      a zigzag stitch and keep the number of puncture holes to a minimum by making the
                      stitch 3 mm wide and 2 mm long. My experience with many Speer type hammocks is
                      that this will not weaken the hammock to the point of tearing the material. If
                      I was really concerned, I would just sew the lengthwise seams and not worry
                      about the cross seams.

                      But, before working on that expensive hammock, I'd try getting used to the idea
                      by removing a label with a seam ripper or by removing some unneeded straps on a
                      pack or by modifying something that costs $20 instead of $150.

                      Have fun!
                    • ra1@imrisk.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 10 7:57 AM
                        At Lowes hardware:

                        Reflectix 4'x 25' Foil Insulation
                        Item #: 13358
                        Model: 13358

                        $41.68

                        Rick

                        Quoting Coy <starnescr@...>:

                        > http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp
                        >

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                        > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                        > > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
                        > > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
                        > surrounding bubble wrap
                        >
                        > > And how much where?
                        >
                        > I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
                        > $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/
                        >
                        > > Ralph
                        >
                        > Coy Boy

                      • David Chinell
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 10 8:49 AM
                          Tim:

                          I don't care for pads wider than 22 inches, as they don't
                          pack the way I prefer. Have you considered cutting a narrow
                          pad in half -- for example you could end up with two pads
                          that are 20 x 34 inches. Place these in a T shape, so you
                          get wide coverage at your shoulders and narrow coverage from
                          your hips down. If you put some silicone or sticky tape on
                          the back of the pads you can minimize slippage, but I find
                          with two separate pads it's not too much of a problem, and
                          easy to reposition the pads even half asleep.

                          Bear