Re: Pad pocket for HH

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 16 , May 8, 2004
      Hi Tim

      If you haven't already, get a wider pad. My 27 in foam and 25 in
      Hinman Pad both stay put pretty well. My 40 in homemade
      reflectic/fleece pad really stays put.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mountainsport500"
      <mountainsport500@y...> wrote:

      > I always seem to end up sleeping underneath my pad in my HH.
      >
      > Has anyone had success sewing a pocket to the bottom to hold a pad
      > in place? I'm not sure how to handle the entrance as it seems to be
      > a raised ridge which tends to interfere with a pad.
      >
      > All comments welcome.
      >
      > Regards, Tim
    • mountainsport500
      Message 2 of 16 , May 9, 2004
        That's true. I sleep on just one side of the slit. But a pad 24-28"
        wide is needed for isolation from the hammock sides. And a pad that
        wide will almost certainly overlap the entrance slit. while I can
        sometimes stay on top of my 24" wide 3/8" REI pad, I am looking for
        a more reliable way to keep it in place so that it doesn't slip out.

        Tim

        <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
        > But you only sleep on one side of the entrance slit, right?
        > So you can ignore the other side?
        >
        > Ralph
        >

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mountainsport500"
        > <mountainsport500@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I always seem to end up sleeping underneath my pad in my HH.
        > >
        > > Has anyone had success sewing a pocket to the bottom to hold a
        pad
        > > in place? I'm not sure how to handle the entrance as it seems to
        > be
        > > a raised ridge which tends to interfere with a pad.
        > >
        > > All comments welcome.
        > >
        > > Regards, Tim
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 16 , May 9, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mountainsport500"
          <mountainsport500@y...> wrote:

          KEEPING AN HH PAD IN PLACE:

          Heres's the method I use: (Once set up initiall it's easy to use)
          Lie on the pad and position it where you want it to stay. Mark the
          pad at both ends on the hammocks center line. Mark the hammock where
          the head end of the pad touches the hammocks centerline. Tape or
          cement a cord or webbing (with a glove hook at each end) to the
          bottom of the pad from end to end where you marked the centerline.
          Now attch a cord to the ridgeline at the head end of the hammock. Tie
          a loop at the end of the cord over your mark on the hammock. Tie a
          bungee cord to the foot end of the hammocks ridge line with a loop at
          the end. To use, 1st tie the head end to a tree, then put the pad
          inside and attach the head end pad glove hook to the hammocks head
          end cord. After tieing the foot end to it's tree attach the foot end
          glove hook to the hammocks foot end bungee loop. The head end cord
          fixes the pad at the head and the bungee automatically "snaps" the
          foot end in place. (You will need to play with the bungee tension to
          optimize it.)

          Cheers,

          Steve M.
        • bflag_rollins_fan
          Message 4 of 16 , May 9, 2004
            ... My 40 in homemade reflectic/fleece pad really stays put...

            That sounds like a great alternative to an ever-shifting foam pad!
            How'd you make that one?
          • Tom Palmer
            Message 5 of 16 , May 9, 2004
              Hi Coy,
              How cold do you use the reflectic/fleece pad? How compact is it carry?
              Thanks,
              Palmer
              > Hi Tim
              >
              > If you haven't already, get a wider pad. My 27 in foam and 25 in
              > Hinman Pad both stay put pretty well. My 40 in homemade
              > reflectic/fleece pad really stays put.
              >
              > Coy Boy
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mountainsport500"
              > <mountainsport500@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I always seem to end up sleeping underneath my pad in my HH.
              > >
              > > Has anyone had success sewing a pocket to the bottom to hold a
              pad
              > > in place? I'm not sure how to handle the entrance as it seems to
              be
              > > a raised ridge which tends to interfere with a pad.
              > >
              > > All comments welcome.
              > >
              > > Regards, Tim
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 16 , May 9, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bflag_rollins_fan"
                <chaz_b_jr@y...> wrote:
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...> wrote:
                > ... My 40 in homemade reflectic/fleece pad really stays put...
                >
                > That sounds like a great alternative to an ever-shifting foam pad!
                > How'd you make that one?

                Reflectic comes in 24 abd 48 inch wide roles. I bought (along with 2
                other hammockers) a 25 foot role. I'm 6 feet tall so I cut a 6 foot
                3 inch section off the role and trimed this down to 40 inches wide,
                I then trimmed a head section and tapered it to 24 inches wide fromm
                my hips to my feet. Ended up sort of coffin shaped. I got some
                cheap fleece, cut it to match the shape of the pad and hand sewed it
                on. I prefer the 27 in blue foam but still use the reflectic when i
                need to double up on pads, like when it is going to be in the low 20s
                upper teens. I am testing another bag/pad right now for BGT and wont
                be using my other pads for a while. It works great but is too heavy
                for long didynce hiking.

                Coy Boy
              • Coy
                Message 7 of 16 , May 9, 2004
                  Hi Tom

                  Here is a pic of the pad on my backpack. scrool down just a little

                  http://tinyurl.com/yst8b

                  Yes it is bulky but still managble. I fold each side to the middle
                  which makes the pad 20 inches wide before I roll it up. I have to
                  cover it if its raining cause the fleece will get wet. The reflectic
                  by itself wont absorb any water.

                  Coy Boy

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Palmer" <boydpalmer@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Coy,
                  > How cold do you use the reflectic/fleece pad? How compact is it
                  carry?
                  > Thanks,
                  > Palmer
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...> wrote:
                  > > Hi Tim
                  > >
                  > > If you haven't already, get a wider pad. My 27 in foam and 25 in
                  > > Hinman Pad both stay put pretty well. My 40 in homemade
                  > > reflectic/fleece pad really stays put.
                  > >
                  > > Coy Boy
                  > >
                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mountainsport500"
                  > > <mountainsport500@y...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I always seem to end up sleeping underneath my pad in my HH.
                  > > >
                  > > > Has anyone had success sewing a pocket to the bottom to hold a
                  > pad
                  > > > in place? I'm not sure how to handle the entrance as it seems
                  > be
                  > > > a raised ridge which tends to interfere with a pad.
                  > > >
                  > > > All comments welcome.
                  > > >
                  > > > Regards, Tim
                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 9, 2004
                    This might help better than the description I gave.

                    http://tinyurl.com/ywn2j

                    If you notice the pad is laid out across 7 6 inch deck boards. well
                    5 1/2 really. so you can see the pad really is 40 inches wide. I
                    also dont feel reflectic is the best answer for cold weather camping
                    but it is faily cheap and the only way I know to get a pad this
                    wide. My 27 in target pad is my main pad for most of the year.
                    Underquilts are proably the best compromise of weight and
                    compactability. I am saving for a down pea pod if I dont decide to
                    attempt to make one myself.

                    Coy Boy

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bflag_rollins_fan"
                    > <chaz_b_jr@y...> wrote:
                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > > ... My 40 in homemade reflectic/fleece pad really stays put...
                    > >
                    > > That sounds like a great alternative to an ever-shifting foam
                    pad!
                    > > How'd you make that one?
                    >
                    > Reflectic comes in 24 abd 48 inch wide roles. I bought (along with
                    2
                    > other hammockers) a 25 foot role. I'm 6 feet tall so I cut a 6
                    foot
                    > 3 inch section off the role and trimed this down to 40 inches
                    wide,
                    > I then trimmed a head section and tapered it to 24 inches wide
                    fromm
                    > my hips to my feet. Ended up sort of coffin shaped. I got some
                    > cheap fleece, cut it to match the shape of the pad and hand sewed
                    it
                    > on. I prefer the 27 in blue foam but still use the reflectic when
                    > need to double up on pads, like when it is going to be in the low
                    20s
                    > upper teens. I am testing another bag/pad right now for BGT and
                    wont
                    > be using my other pads for a while. It works great but is too
                    heavy
                    > for long didynce hiking.
                    >
                    > Coy Boy
                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 9, 2004
                      What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
                      bubble wrap or ????
                      And how much where?

                      Ralph

                    • rosaleen43@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 10, 2004
                        Tim-

                        Try a piece of the grippy rubber shelf  liner under your pad.  There seems to be a range of tackiness to different brands, so look at more than one, if possible.  I find the stuff to be a great help. Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself.  You may void the warrantee.   I've read of attaching a line to one's pad and then linking it to the ridgeline loop at the head end.  That may help a little, too.

                        Cheers!

                        Rosaleen

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 10, 2004
                          http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp

                          <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                          > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
                          > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
                          surrounding bubble wrap

                          > And how much where?

                          I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
                          $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/

                          > Ralph

                          Coy Boy
                        • ra1@imrisk.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 10, 2004
                            Quoting rosaleen43@...:
                            Beware of sewing anything to the hammock itself. You may void the warrantee.

                            While Rosaleen is correct, this sort of worry may be overdone sometimes. One of
                            the really useful pieces of advice in Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking for me
                            was the piece where he talks about warranty worry.

                            Sewing something to a $150 hammock for the first experiment may not be the best
                            example, but the point Ray made well, is that the thing is mine. If I feel like
                            modifying it, I can and should.

                            With some hammock sewing experience in my background, I would have no worry at
                            all about sewing a pad holder in a Hennessy Hammock for my own use. I would use
                            a zigzag stitch and keep the number of puncture holes to a minimum by making the
                            stitch 3 mm wide and 2 mm long. My experience with many Speer type hammocks is
                            that this will not weaken the hammock to the point of tearing the material. If
                            I was really concerned, I would just sew the lengthwise seams and not worry
                            about the cross seams.

                            But, before working on that expensive hammock, I'd try getting used to the idea
                            by removing a label with a seam ripper or by removing some unneeded straps on a
                            pack or by modifying something that costs $20 instead of $150.

                            Have fun!
                          • ra1@imrisk.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 10, 2004
                              At Lowes hardware:

                              Reflectix 4'x 25' Foil Insulation
                              Item #: 13358
                              Model: 13358

                              $41.68

                              Rick

                              Quoting Coy <starnescr@...>:

                              > http://www.reflectixinc.com/plumbing.asp
                              >

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                              > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
                              > > What is "reflectic"? Aluminized Mylar (space blanket) or reflector
                              > > bubble wrap or ???? All the above... close to a space blanket
                              > surrounding bubble wrap
                              >
                              > > And how much where?
                              >
                              > I forget exactly, seems like my share for a 4 x 25 ft rool was about
                              > $20 Try building supply places or HAVAC suppliere/installers/
                              >
                              > > Ralph
                              >
                              > Coy Boy

                            • David Chinell
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 10, 2004
                                Tim:

                                I don't care for pads wider than 22 inches, as they don't
                                pack the way I prefer. Have you considered cutting a narrow
                                pad in half -- for example you could end up with two pads
                                that are 20 x 34 inches. Place these in a T shape, so you
                                get wide coverage at your shoulders and narrow coverage from
                                your hips down. If you put some silicone or sticky tape on
                                the back of the pads you can minimize slippage, but I find
                                with two separate pads it's not too much of a problem, and
                                easy to reposition the pads even half asleep.

                                Bear