Water Wrangling (was: AT section: Springer to NOC)

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2004
      <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > New things this time:
      [...]
      > Water bags: Before I left, I saw a recommendation for stand up zip
      > locks when working with water. A very good idea. What you do is
      > grab a couple of zip-locks full of water from the stream, then
      > retreat to a comfortable location to pump & or treat the water.
      > This also helps if the water source is such that you can't get your
      > platypus under the pipe, spout or in the shallow spring head. I
      > couldn't find the standup zip locks, so I got some hefty zip locks
      > and added a strip of duct tape around the circumference near the
      zip
      > mechanism. I then taped a short length of rope that could be
      hooked
      > or held to stabilize the opening during pumping.
      [...]
      > I have a few of the pictures I took here (for a short time):
      >
      > http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/AT2004web/
      >
      > Let me know if you have questions.
      > Ray

      ZipLoc used to sell pleated-bottom versions of their freezer bags in
      half-gallon and gallon sizes. These were perfect for backpacking.
      Haven't been able to find them lately though. :-/

      One of the things that's on my Try This Out List is using the
      packcover garbage bag (which normally covers the pack when hung up at
      night) to carry water by laying it out flat, gathering it up into a
      sack, and tying it together with a constrictor knot or two. (Just
      pouring water in probably won't work as the seams will start leaking
      and tear the bag up.) You could get a gallon or two into that for
      filtering, bathing or laundering purposes.

      Enjoyed the pics, BTW.

      Doug Frost