Yahoo web beacons

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2004

      My friend Kim sent this to me. She is on a couple of Yahoo groups, including this one. Easy to do. I don’t like being spied upon.

      Marsanne

      I got this from another group:

      Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo Group
      users around the net and see what you're doing and where you are going -
      similar to cookies. Take a look at their updated privacy
      statement:

      http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html

      About half-way down the page, in the section "Outside the Yahoo!
      Network", you'll see a little "click here" link that will let you
      "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.

      Once you have clicked that link, you are opted out. Notice the "Success"
      message the top the next page.

      Be careful because on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that,
      if clicked, will *undo* the opt-out.

      Feel free to forward this to other groups.

    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2004
        This is all very interesting. They have to pay for
        all this "free to us" service some way. It is called
        marketing research, sure. My way around this is to
        set my "Cookies" to ask first. I know from experience
        which I have to allow and the ones I can "just say no
        to". Many web site you like to visit do the same
        thing. You just may not know it. Bill

        PS. I just clicked all Ed's site and wasn't asked to
        take any cookies. Thanks Ed. Ed must have eaten all
        the cookies himself. Can't say the same for places
        like REI.