RE: Hammock Camping Sleep Pads

  • Marge Prothman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
      Ed,
      The pad I purchased from Wilderness Fabrics was Foam Y20 1/4" 2lb Den 40 x
      80.
      I trimmed it down to 35" x 65" left a piece sticking up for the head 8' x
      16" and
      Made a slit up the middle at the bottom about 16". I put this in first, then
      my Windshield
      Reflector and my Mtn Wash. Pad (closed foam).

      The 1/4" pad for me cocooned me too much and would not lay flat, it got
      folds in it.
      Marge

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
        Ed and Marge:

        That's an advantage a the Tropical (or other top entry)
        hammock with two layers. I've used a trimmed Oware pad
        that's about 48 inches wide. Goes from edge to edge of my
        hammock, but stays flat and stable. I just can't roll it up
        neatly.

        Bear

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
          I've also had the buckle problems Marge referred to. I often solve
          the problem by putting one or more of my pads inside the Pea Pod
          shell so they lie outside the hammock. I favor the comfort of the
          hammock without a pad inside anyway; but it is warmer if the pad is
          inside. So I let the temperature tell me where to put the pad/s. Of
          course folks without the Pea Pod or Bear's 'double bottom' hammock
          can't do this. And such a wide pad is difficult to fold/roll and
          stuff into a pack. So I use wide liner pads for car camping and
          multiple narrow pads for hiking.
          Ed

        • PUDSCRAWLER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 23, 2006
            Ed, I have a question for you.

            When I purchased my hammock (Gathering '04), you mentioned that you had one
            hanging in your bedroom or the like.

            I would like to set mine up that way too, but I need to know how.

            None of my walls (plaster in 125-year-old farm house) are the correct
            distance from one another. In other words, the hammock would have to hang "catty
            corner" from two adjoining walls. I weigh 180. How could I do this in such a
            way that the hammock would not fail?

            Thanks,

            Sawnie Robertson