RE: [Hammock Camping] Intro

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 28 , May 2, 2004
      Thanks, Ed!  I picked up your book at Rainbow Springs
      during my last outing.  I'm going to order the materials
      tomorrow from Quest.  I already have a tarp so it should
      only cost me around $50.  I'm a decent seamstress
      when I have the time and inclination to make something,
      and your design is very simple, it should go together
      rather easily.

      Stay tuned!
      Kathy

      Ed Speer <info@...> wrote:
      Welcome Kathy--glad to have you on board.
      Message 2 of 28 , May 3, 2004
        Message
        Kathy, here's a link to our FREE detailed sewing instructions--you should find them useful for making your own hammock from scratch. Best of luck with your project...Ed  Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

        Message 3 of 28 , May 3, 2004

          This is GOOD! Thanks. I am saving it to email to anybody having trouble.

          Marsanne

          Last say you have put the free end through both
          loops in the tree hugger strap.  You now have one line going back to
          the hammock (standing line) and another hanging down a few feet. no
          matter which side the free end is on  go over the standing line (the
          one headed back to the hammock) then pull the rope in a C or backward
          C (depending on the side you started on) around the standing line.
          Now go over the C making it an O.  Continue over the place where the
          tree huggers meet, straight down and out to the front again.   You
          now are back to where you were the first time.  Repeat this 3 times
          and it will hold under just about any load

        • Kathy
          Message 4 of 28 , May 3, 2004
            Thanks!  I like details.  I'll let you know how it's coming along.

            Kathy

            Message 5 of 28 , May 9, 2004
              Kathy wrote:

              > Hello!
              >
              > I'm a hammock camping wannabe. I've been backpacking for six years,
              > here in Indiana and section hiking the AT. I've never been real
              > comfortable on the ground or in a shelter, even with a Thermarest, so
              > I want to give hammocks a try.
              >

              > Anyway, I'm glad I found this group. I'm sure I can learn a lot from
              > all of you.
              >
              > Kathy K
              > aka Ragamuffin
              > Indianapolis

              Welcome Kathy! We all have a lot to learn from one another.

              Rick
            • Kathy
              Message 6 of 28 , May 11, 2004
                Thanks, Rick!   This is a great place to learn from one another.

                Hammock update:  I've gotten the four edges of my new
                hammock hemmed, and will start with the velcro tonight.

                Kathy