RE: [Hammock Camping] Intro

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 28 , May 2, 2004
      Hi Marsanne,

      Shane's video is great!  I actually had printed out his pictures and
      took it in the back yard and went over it time and again, and then
      when I realized my stand wasn't high enough and asked my friend
      if I could "hang out" in her yard that night, I had it with me then too.
      I'm fairly certain I was doing it right.  (Glad I found Shane's web site
      because the Hennessy drawings just didn't help me any!)

      I found a forum somewhere too that said the rope used with the
      Hennessy's tends to stretch the first 3-4 times you use it.  Anyway,
      I'll check the photos one more time :) but I am going to make
      a Speer as well.  I've been on Quest's website and it will only
      cost me about $50 or so to make one.  I already have an 8X10
      tarp.

      I can't wait until I do get the "hang" of this.  No more hard
      floors, no more rocks or roots or sloping tent sites!  No more
      shelter mice.  Yes, I will be an easy convert!

      Kathy

      firefly <firefly@...> wrote:

      Kathy,

      Welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the HH website, look up Shane�s video, study it carefully, MAKE SURE you are doing the knot right. I have to practice knots over and over and over and OVER again to get them down. I found I was sagging, too, thinking I had the knot right, but I didn�t. It�s a bit counter intuitive because you are bringing the line up and over the line, as opposed to over and down. But it is bomb proof once you have it right. It will be worth the effort. What I enjoy the most, besides a full night�s sleep, is converting other campers. At dinner yesterday with my paddling club I was talking with a guy who is just about to go get a HH. I told him to get Ed�s book, and then make a decision. I like Ed�s hammocks and the HH. It depends on where you are going. Just WAIT until the first time you are on a campout with people in tents on either uneven or rocky or muddy ground and they are all whining the next morning and you slept great! It happens to me all the time!

      Marsanne

      Message 2 of 28 , May 2, 2004
        Thanks, Ed!  I picked up your book at Rainbow Springs
        during my last outing.  I'm going to order the materials
        tomorrow from Quest.  I already have a tarp so it should
        only cost me around $50.  I'm a decent seamstress
        when I have the time and inclination to make something,
        and your design is very simple, it should go together
        rather easily.

        Stay tuned!
        Kathy

        Ed Speer <info@...> wrote:
        Welcome Kathy--glad to have you on board.
        Message 3 of 28 , May 3, 2004
          Message
          Kathy, here's a link to our FREE detailed sewing instructions--you should find them useful for making your own hammock from scratch. Best of luck with your project...Ed  Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

          Message 4 of 28 , May 3, 2004

            This is GOOD! Thanks. I am saving it to email to anybody having trouble.

            Marsanne

            Last say you have put the free end through both
            loops in the tree hugger strap.  You now have one line going back to
            the hammock (standing line) and another hanging down a few feet. no
            matter which side the free end is on  go over the standing line (the
            one headed back to the hammock) then pull the rope in a C or backward
            C (depending on the side you started on) around the standing line.
            Now go over the C making it an O.  Continue over the place where the
            tree huggers meet, straight down and out to the front again.   You
            now are back to where you were the first time.  Repeat this 3 times
            and it will hold under just about any load

          • Kathy
            Message 5 of 28 , May 3, 2004
              Thanks!  I like details.  I'll let you know how it's coming along.

              Kathy

              Message 6 of 28 , May 9, 2004
                Kathy wrote:

                > Hello!
                >
                > I'm a hammock camping wannabe. I've been backpacking for six years,
                > here in Indiana and section hiking the AT. I've never been real
                > comfortable on the ground or in a shelter, even with a Thermarest, so
                > I want to give hammocks a try.
                >

                > Anyway, I'm glad I found this group. I'm sure I can learn a lot from
                > all of you.
                >
                > Kathy K
                > aka Ragamuffin
                > Indianapolis

                Welcome Kathy! We all have a lot to learn from one another.

                Rick
              • Kathy
                Message 7 of 28 , May 11, 2004
                  Thanks, Rick!   This is a great place to learn from one another.

                  Hammock update:  I've gotten the four edges of my new
                  hammock hemmed, and will start with the velcro tonight.

                  Kathy