Re: [Hammock Camping] Intro

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 28 , May 2, 2004
      Hi Marsanne

      I know all about forgetting how to tie knots. Especially when you
      get in the woods and the handy web page, Shanes vidio, or Dave W are
      not around to show you step by step. I finally figgured out how to
      remember the figgure 8 after getting it right, then wrong a few
      different times. Last say you have put the free end through both
      loops in the tree hugger strap. You now have one line going back to
      the hammock (standing line) and another hanging down a few feet. no
      matter which side the free end is on go over the standing line (the
      one headed back to the hammock) then pull the rope in a C or backward
      C (depending on the side you started on) around the standing line.
      Now go over the C making it an O. Continue over the place where the
      tree huggers meet, straight down and out to the front again. You
      now are back to where you were the first time. Repeat this 3 times
      and it will hold under just about any load. I'm sure youve masterd it
      by now but this could help sombody else.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
      > Kathy,
      > Welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the HH website, look up
      Shane's video,
      > study it carefully, MAKE SURE you are doing the knot right. I have
      > practice knots over and over and over and OVER again to get them
      down. I
      > found I was sagging, too, thinking I had the knot right, but I
      didn't. It's
      > a bit counter intuitive because you are bringing the line up and
      over the
      > line, as opposed to over and down. But it is bomb proof once you
      have it
      > right. It will be worth the effort. What I enjoy the most, besides
      a full
      > night's sleep, is converting other campers. At dinner yesterday
      with my
      > paddling club I was talking with a guy who is just about to go get
      a HH. I
      > told him to get Ed's book, and then make a decision. I like Ed's
      hammocks
      > and the HH. It depends on where you are going. Just WAIT until the
      first
      > time you are on a campout with people in tents on either uneven or
      rocky or
      > muddy ground and they are all whining the next morning and you
      slept great!
      > It happens to me all the time!
      > Marsanne

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1297tjirv/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=
      groups
      > /S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1083614102/A=1874383/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuu
      ldn/*htt
      > p://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>
      >

      > _____

      subject=Unsubscribe>

      Service
      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Kathy
      Message 2 of 28 , May 2, 2004
        Hi Marsanne,

        Shane's video is great!  I actually had printed out his pictures and
        took it in the back yard and went over it time and again, and then
        when I realized my stand wasn't high enough and asked my friend
        if I could "hang out" in her yard that night, I had it with me then too.
        I'm fairly certain I was doing it right.  (Glad I found Shane's web site
        because the Hennessy drawings just didn't help me any!)

        I found a forum somewhere too that said the rope used with the
        Hennessy's tends to stretch the first 3-4 times you use it.  Anyway,
        I'll check the photos one more time :) but I am going to make
        a Speer as well.  I've been on Quest's website and it will only
        cost me about $50 or so to make one.  I already have an 8X10
        tarp.

        I can't wait until I do get the "hang" of this.  No more hard
        floors, no more rocks or roots or sloping tent sites!  No more
        shelter mice.  Yes, I will be an easy convert!

        Kathy

        firefly <firefly@...> wrote:

        Kathy,

        Welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the HH website, look up Shane�s video, study it carefully, MAKE SURE you are doing the knot right. I have to practice knots over and over and over and OVER again to get them down. I found I was sagging, too, thinking I had the knot right, but I didn�t. It�s a bit counter intuitive because you are bringing the line up and over the line, as opposed to over and down. But it is bomb proof once you have it right. It will be worth the effort. What I enjoy the most, besides a full night�s sleep, is converting other campers. At dinner yesterday with my paddling club I was talking with a guy who is just about to go get a HH. I told him to get Ed�s book, and then make a decision. I like Ed�s hammocks and the HH. It depends on where you are going. Just WAIT until the first time you are on a campout with people in tents on either uneven or rocky or muddy ground and they are all whining the next morning and you slept great! It happens to me all the time!

        Marsanne

        Message 3 of 28 , May 2, 2004
          Thanks, Ed!  I picked up your book at Rainbow Springs
          during my last outing.  I'm going to order the materials
          tomorrow from Quest.  I already have a tarp so it should
          only cost me around $50.  I'm a decent seamstress
          when I have the time and inclination to make something,
          and your design is very simple, it should go together
          rather easily.

          Stay tuned!
          Kathy

          Ed Speer <info@...> wrote:
          Welcome Kathy--glad to have you on board.
          Message 4 of 28 , May 3, 2004
            Message
            Kathy, here's a link to our FREE detailed sewing instructions--you should find them useful for making your own hammock from scratch. Best of luck with your project...Ed  Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

              Message 6 of 28 , May 3, 2004
                Thanks!  I like details.  I'll let you know how it's coming along.

                Kathy

                Message 7 of 28 , May 9, 2004
                  Kathy wrote:

                  > Hello!
                  >
                  > I'm a hammock camping wannabe. I've been backpacking for six years,
                  > here in Indiana and section hiking the AT. I've never been real
                  > comfortable on the ground or in a shelter, even with a Thermarest, so
                  > I want to give hammocks a try.
                  >

                  > Anyway, I'm glad I found this group. I'm sure I can learn a lot from
                  > all of you.
                  >
                  > Kathy K
                  > aka Ragamuffin
                  > Indianapolis

                  Welcome Kathy! We all have a lot to learn from one another.

                  Rick
                • Kathy
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 11, 2004
                    Thanks, Rick!   This is a great place to learn from one another.

                    Hammock update:  I've gotten the four edges of my new
                    hammock hemmed, and will start with the velcro tonight.

                    Kathy