RE: [Hammock Camping] Intro

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 28 , May 2, 2004
      Message

      Kathy,

      Welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the HH website, look up Shane’s video, study it carefully, MAKE SURE you are doing the knot right. I have to practice knots over and over and over and OVER again to get them down. I found I was sagging, too, thinking I had the knot right, but I didn’t. It’s a bit counter intuitive because you are bringing the line up and over the line, as opposed to over and down. But it is bomb proof once you have it right. It will be worth the effort. What I enjoy the most, besides a full night’s sleep, is converting other campers. At dinner yesterday with my paddling club I was talking with a guy who is just about to go get a HH. I told him to get Ed’s book, and then make a decision. I like Ed’s hammocks and the HH. It depends on where you are going. Just WAIT until the first time you are on a campout with people in tents on either uneven or rocky or muddy ground and they are all whining the next morning and you slept great! It happens to me all the time!

      Marsanne

      Message 2 of 28 , May 2, 2004
        Hi Marsanne

        I know all about forgetting how to tie knots. Especially when you
        get in the woods and the handy web page, Shanes vidio, or Dave W are
        not around to show you step by step. I finally figgured out how to
        remember the figgure 8 after getting it right, then wrong a few
        different times. Last say you have put the free end through both
        loops in the tree hugger strap. You now have one line going back to
        the hammock (standing line) and another hanging down a few feet. no
        matter which side the free end is on go over the standing line (the
        one headed back to the hammock) then pull the rope in a C or backward
        C (depending on the side you started on) around the standing line.
        Now go over the C making it an O. Continue over the place where the
        tree huggers meet, straight down and out to the front again. You
        now are back to where you were the first time. Repeat this 3 times
        and it will hold under just about any load. I'm sure youve masterd it
        by now but this could help sombody else.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
        > Kathy,
        > Welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the HH website, look up
        Shane's video,
        > study it carefully, MAKE SURE you are doing the knot right. I have
        > practice knots over and over and over and OVER again to get them
        down. I
        > found I was sagging, too, thinking I had the knot right, but I
        didn't. It's
        > a bit counter intuitive because you are bringing the line up and
        over the
        > line, as opposed to over and down. But it is bomb proof once you
        have it
        > right. It will be worth the effort. What I enjoy the most, besides
        a full
        > night's sleep, is converting other campers. At dinner yesterday
        with my
        > paddling club I was talking with a guy who is just about to go get
        a HH. I
        > told him to get Ed's book, and then make a decision. I like Ed's
        hammocks
        > and the HH. It depends on where you are going. Just WAIT until the
        first
        > time you are on a campout with people in tents on either uneven or
        rocky or
        > muddy ground and they are all whining the next morning and you
        slept great!
        > It happens to me all the time!
        > Marsanne

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1297tjirv/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=
        groups
        > /S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1083614102/A=1874383/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuu
        ldn/*htt
        > p://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>
        >

        > _____

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        Service
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • Kathy
        Message 3 of 28 , May 2, 2004
          Hi Marsanne,

          Shane's video is great!  I actually had printed out his pictures and
          took it in the back yard and went over it time and again, and then
          when I realized my stand wasn't high enough and asked my friend
          if I could "hang out" in her yard that night, I had it with me then too.
          I'm fairly certain I was doing it right.  (Glad I found Shane's web site
          because the Hennessy drawings just didn't help me any!)

          I found a forum somewhere too that said the rope used with the
          Hennessy's tends to stretch the first 3-4 times you use it.  Anyway,
          I'll check the photos one more time :) but I am going to make
          a Speer as well.  I've been on Quest's website and it will only
          cost me about $50 or so to make one.  I already have an 8X10
          tarp.

          I can't wait until I do get the "hang" of this.  No more hard
          floors, no more rocks or roots or sloping tent sites!  No more
          shelter mice.  Yes, I will be an easy convert!

          Kathy

          Message 4 of 28 , May 2, 2004
            Thanks, Ed!  I picked up your book at Rainbow Springs
            during my last outing.  I'm going to order the materials
            tomorrow from Quest.  I already have a tarp so it should
            only cost me around $50.  I'm a decent seamstress
            when I have the time and inclination to make something,
            and your design is very simple, it should go together
            rather easily.

            Stay tuned!
            Kathy

            Ed Speer <info@...> wrote:
            Welcome Kathy--glad to have you on board.
            Message 5 of 28 , May 3, 2004
              Message
              Kathy, here's a link to our FREE detailed sewing instructions--you should find them useful for making your own hammock from scratch. Best of luck with your project...Ed  Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

                Message 7 of 28 , May 3, 2004
                  Thanks!  I like details.  I'll let you know how it's coming along.

                  Kathy

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 9, 2004
                    Kathy wrote:

                    > Hello!
                    >
                    > I'm a hammock camping wannabe. I've been backpacking for six years,
                    > here in Indiana and section hiking the AT. I've never been real
                    > comfortable on the ground or in a shelter, even with a Thermarest, so
                    > I want to give hammocks a try.
                    >

                    > Anyway, I'm glad I found this group. I'm sure I can learn a lot from
                    > all of you.
                    >
                    > Kathy K
                    > aka Ragamuffin
                    > Indianapolis

                    Welcome Kathy! We all have a lot to learn from one another.

                    Rick
                  • Kathy
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 11, 2004
                      Thanks, Rick!   This is a great place to learn from one another.

                      Hammock update:  I've gotten the four edges of my new
                      hammock hemmed, and will start with the velcro tonight.

                      Kathy