RE: [Hammock Camping] Intro

    Message 1 of 28 , May 2, 2004
      Message
      Welcome Kathy--glad to have you on board. Sounds like soon you will have all the experience you need to be a hammock regular--it really is much easier on the AT than ground or shelter sleeping. Maybe all you need is to try pitchching that hammock a few different ways just to learn the differences between each setup. Quickly you'll have the 'hang' of it! Once you do, you'll never leave it at home again!   Of course should you wish to try one of my hammocks or a kit, I can fix you right up.  Anyway, welcome again and I hope you've had a chance to check some of the archinves on the List--you should find plenty of answere there....Ed
      Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

      Message 2 of 28 , May 2, 2004
        Message

        Kathy,

        Welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the HH website, look up Shane’s video, study it carefully, MAKE SURE you are doing the knot right. I have to practice knots over and over and over and OVER again to get them down. I found I was sagging, too, thinking I had the knot right, but I didn’t. It’s a bit counter intuitive because you are bringing the line up and over the line, as opposed to over and down. But it is bomb proof once you have it right. It will be worth the effort. What I enjoy the most, besides a full night’s sleep, is converting other campers. At dinner yesterday with my paddling club I was talking with a guy who is just about to go get a HH. I told him to get Ed’s book, and then make a decision. I like Ed’s hammocks and the HH. It depends on where you are going. Just WAIT until the first time you are on a campout with people in tents on either uneven or rocky or muddy ground and they are all whining the next morning and you slept great! It happens to me all the time!

        Marsanne

        Message 3 of 28 , May 2, 2004
          Hi Marsanne

          I know all about forgetting how to tie knots. Especially when you
          get in the woods and the handy web page, Shanes vidio, or Dave W are
          not around to show you step by step. I finally figgured out how to
          remember the figgure 8 after getting it right, then wrong a few
          different times. Last say you have put the free end through both
          loops in the tree hugger strap. You now have one line going back to
          the hammock (standing line) and another hanging down a few feet. no
          matter which side the free end is on go over the standing line (the
          one headed back to the hammock) then pull the rope in a C or backward
          C (depending on the side you started on) around the standing line.
          Now go over the C making it an O. Continue over the place where the
          tree huggers meet, straight down and out to the front again. You
          now are back to where you were the first time. Repeat this 3 times
          and it will hold under just about any load. I'm sure youve masterd it
          by now but this could help sombody else.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
          > Kathy,
          > Welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the HH website, look up
          Shane's video,
          > study it carefully, MAKE SURE you are doing the knot right. I have
          > practice knots over and over and over and OVER again to get them
          down. I
          > found I was sagging, too, thinking I had the knot right, but I
          didn't. It's
          > a bit counter intuitive because you are bringing the line up and
          over the
          > line, as opposed to over and down. But it is bomb proof once you
          have it
          > right. It will be worth the effort. What I enjoy the most, besides
          a full
          > night's sleep, is converting other campers. At dinner yesterday
          with my
          > paddling club I was talking with a guy who is just about to go get
          a HH. I
          > told him to get Ed's book, and then make a decision. I like Ed's
          hammocks
          > and the HH. It depends on where you are going. Just WAIT until the
          first
          > time you are on a campout with people in tents on either uneven or
          rocky or
          > muddy ground and they are all whining the next morning and you
          slept great!
          > It happens to me all the time!
          > Marsanne

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1297tjirv/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=
          groups
          > /S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1083614102/A=1874383/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuu
          ldn/*htt
          > p://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>
          >

          > _____

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          Service
          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • Kathy
          Message 4 of 28 , May 2, 2004
            Hi Marsanne,

            Shane's video is great!  I actually had printed out his pictures and
            took it in the back yard and went over it time and again, and then
            when I realized my stand wasn't high enough and asked my friend
            if I could "hang out" in her yard that night, I had it with me then too.
            I'm fairly certain I was doing it right.  (Glad I found Shane's web site
            because the Hennessy drawings just didn't help me any!)

            I found a forum somewhere too that said the rope used with the
            Hennessy's tends to stretch the first 3-4 times you use it.  Anyway,
            I'll check the photos one more time :) but I am going to make
            a Speer as well.  I've been on Quest's website and it will only
            cost me about $50 or so to make one.  I already have an 8X10
            tarp.

            I can't wait until I do get the "hang" of this.  No more hard
            floors, no more rocks or roots or sloping tent sites!  No more
            shelter mice.  Yes, I will be an easy convert!

            Kathy

            Message 5 of 28 , May 2, 2004
              Thanks, Ed!  I picked up your book at Rainbow Springs
              during my last outing.  I'm going to order the materials
              tomorrow from Quest.  I already have a tarp so it should
              only cost me around $50.  I'm a decent seamstress
              when I have the time and inclination to make something,
              and your design is very simple, it should go together
              rather easily.

              Stay tuned!
              Kathy

              Message 6 of 28 , May 3, 2004
                Message
                Kathy, here's a link to our FREE detailed sewing instructions--you should find them useful for making your own hammock from scratch. Best of luck with your project...Ed  Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 3, 2004
                    Thanks!  I like details.  I'll let you know how it's coming along.

                    Kathy

                    Message 9 of 28 , May 9, 2004
                      Kathy wrote:

                      > Hello!
                      >
                      > I'm a hammock camping wannabe. I've been backpacking for six years,
                      > here in Indiana and section hiking the AT. I've never been real
                      > comfortable on the ground or in a shelter, even with a Thermarest, so
                      > I want to give hammocks a try.
                      >

                      > Anyway, I'm glad I found this group. I'm sure I can learn a lot from
                      > all of you.
                      >
                      > Kathy K
                      > aka Ragamuffin
                      > Indianapolis

                      Welcome Kathy! We all have a lot to learn from one another.

                      Rick
                    • Kathy
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 11, 2004
                        Thanks, Rick!   This is a great place to learn from one another.

                        Hammock update:  I've gotten the four edges of my new
                        hammock hemmed, and will start with the velcro tonight.

                        Kathy