RE: [Hammock Camping] Intro

    Message 1 of 28 , May 2, 2004
      Message

      Hammock Camping  (the book)  ISBN 0-9718594-4-2
      The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
      also FREE Reports!  FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!

      Speer Hammocks, Inc
      Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
      34 Clear Creek Road
      Marion, NC 28752-6407
      828.724.4444

      Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
      free online newsletter

      Hammock Camping-L (email List)
      a free open discussion group  Learn from the experts
      Message 2 of 28 , May 2, 2004
        Message
        Welcome Kathy--glad to have you on board. Sounds like soon you will have all the experience you need to be a hammock regular--it really is much easier on the AT than ground or shelter sleeping. Maybe all you need is to try pitchching that hammock a few different ways just to learn the differences between each setup. Quickly you'll have the 'hang' of it! Once you do, you'll never leave it at home again!   Of course should you wish to try one of my hammocks or a kit, I can fix you right up.  Anyway, welcome again and I hope you've had a chance to check some of the archinves on the List--you should find plenty of answere there....Ed
        Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

        Message 3 of 28 , May 2, 2004
          Message

          Kathy,

          Welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the HH website, look up Shane’s video, study it carefully, MAKE SURE you are doing the knot right. I have to practice knots over and over and over and OVER again to get them down. I found I was sagging, too, thinking I had the knot right, but I didn’t. It’s a bit counter intuitive because you are bringing the line up and over the line, as opposed to over and down. But it is bomb proof once you have it right. It will be worth the effort. What I enjoy the most, besides a full night’s sleep, is converting other campers. At dinner yesterday with my paddling club I was talking with a guy who is just about to go get a HH. I told him to get Ed’s book, and then make a decision. I like Ed’s hammocks and the HH. It depends on where you are going. Just WAIT until the first time you are on a campout with people in tents on either uneven or rocky or muddy ground and they are all whining the next morning and you slept great! It happens to me all the time!

          Marsanne

          http://www.hammockcamping.com

          I'm a hammock camping wannabe.  I've been backpacking for six years, here in Indiana and section hiking the AT.  I've never been real comfortable on the ground or in a shelter, even with a Thermarest, so I want to give hammocks a try.

          Kathy K

          aka Ragamuffin

          Indianapolis

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 28 , May 2, 2004
            Hi Marsanne

            I know all about forgetting how to tie knots. Especially when you
            get in the woods and the handy web page, Shanes vidio, or Dave W are
            not around to show you step by step. I finally figgured out how to
            remember the figgure 8 after getting it right, then wrong a few
            different times. Last say you have put the free end through both
            loops in the tree hugger strap. You now have one line going back to
            the hammock (standing line) and another hanging down a few feet. no
            matter which side the free end is on go over the standing line (the
            one headed back to the hammock) then pull the rope in a C or backward
            C (depending on the side you started on) around the standing line.
            Now go over the C making it an O. Continue over the place where the
            tree huggers meet, straight down and out to the front again. You
            now are back to where you were the first time. Repeat this 3 times
            and it will hold under just about any load. I'm sure youve masterd it
            by now but this could help sombody else.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
            > Kathy,
            > Welcome. I strongly suggest you go to the HH website, look up
            Shane's video,
            > study it carefully, MAKE SURE you are doing the knot right. I have
            > practice knots over and over and over and OVER again to get them
            down. I
            > found I was sagging, too, thinking I had the knot right, but I
            didn't. It's
            > a bit counter intuitive because you are bringing the line up and
            over the
            > line, as opposed to over and down. But it is bomb proof once you
            have it
            > right. It will be worth the effort. What I enjoy the most, besides
            a full
            > night's sleep, is converting other campers. At dinner yesterday
            with my
            > paddling club I was talking with a guy who is just about to go get
            a HH. I
            > told him to get Ed's book, and then make a decision. I like Ed's
            hammocks
            > and the HH. It depends on where you are going. Just WAIT until the
            first
            > time you are on a campout with people in tents on either uneven or
            rocky or
            > muddy ground and they are all whining the next morning and you
            slept great!
            > It happens to me all the time!
            > Marsanne

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1297tjirv/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=
            groups
            > /S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1083614102/A=1874383/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuu
            ldn/*htt
            > p://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>
            >

            > _____

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            Service
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • Kathy
            Message 5 of 28 , May 2, 2004
              Hi Marsanne,

              Shane's video is great!  I actually had printed out his pictures and
              took it in the back yard and went over it time and again, and then
              when I realized my stand wasn't high enough and asked my friend
              if I could "hang out" in her yard that night, I had it with me then too.
              I'm fairly certain I was doing it right.  (Glad I found Shane's web site
              because the Hennessy drawings just didn't help me any!)

              I found a forum somewhere too that said the rope used with the
              Hennessy's tends to stretch the first 3-4 times you use it.  Anyway,
              I'll check the photos one more time :) but I am going to make
              a Speer as well.  I've been on Quest's website and it will only
              cost me about $50 or so to make one.  I already have an 8X10
              tarp.

              I can't wait until I do get the "hang" of this.  No more hard
              floors, no more rocks or roots or sloping tent sites!  No more
              shelter mice.  Yes, I will be an easy convert!

              Kathy

              Message 6 of 28 , May 2, 2004
                Thanks, Ed!  I picked up your book at Rainbow Springs
                during my last outing.  I'm going to order the materials
                tomorrow from Quest.  I already have a tarp so it should
                only cost me around $50.  I'm a decent seamstress
                when I have the time and inclination to make something,
                and your design is very simple, it should go together
                rather easily.

                Stay tuned!
                Kathy

                Message 7 of 28 , May 3, 2004
                  Message
                  Kathy, here's a link to our FREE detailed sewing instructions--you should find them useful for making your own hammock from scratch. Best of luck with your project...Ed  Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

                    Message 9 of 28 , May 3, 2004
                      Thanks!  I like details.  I'll let you know how it's coming along.

                      Kathy

                      Message 10 of 28 , May 9, 2004
                        Kathy wrote:

                        > Hello!
                        >
                        > I'm a hammock camping wannabe. I've been backpacking for six years,
                        > here in Indiana and section hiking the AT. I've never been real
                        > comfortable on the ground or in a shelter, even with a Thermarest, so
                        > I want to give hammocks a try.
                        >

                        > Anyway, I'm glad I found this group. I'm sure I can learn a lot from
                        > all of you.
                        >
                        > Kathy K
                        > aka Ragamuffin
                        > Indianapolis

                        Welcome Kathy! We all have a lot to learn from one another.

                        Rick
                      • Kathy
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 11, 2004
                          Thanks, Rick!   This is a great place to learn from one another.

                          Hammock update:  I've gotten the four edges of my new
                          hammock hemmed, and will start with the velcro tonight.

                          Kathy