Re: [Hammock Camping] where to put the pack, using a hammock

  • Bruce Calkins
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2004
      I don't know about better, What I do is throw a loop with a mini-biner
      around a convenient tree. (Often one of the hammock support trees.) The
      pack clips to the mini-biner and gets to wear it's pack cover. The last
      trip my clothing bag formed part of my padding/insulation under me inside
      the hammock. Experiments will continue through the summer.

      Black Wolfe

      > Anyone else have better solutions?
    • Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2004
        Byran,

        I put everything in a garbage bag inside my pack and use lines to suspend the
        pack in the trees as a "rodent bag." Rig the "rodent bag" before dark because
        it is a real PITA to do it with your headlamp.

        My fanny pack with emergency equipment and sanitary supplies is snapped over
        the foot end of the hammock line. On the head end of the hammock line I have
        a single clothes clip where I hang the socks that I wore that day. On the
        foot end of the hammock line I have 2 clothes clips that hold my rain jacket
        and hat. The clothes clips are the way that I can tell the difference between
        the head and foot of the HH when in the snakeskins.
        http://trailquest.net/dlgcclothesclip.html

        Glasses and red LED light goes in the mesh bag on the ridge line.

        My shoes are loosely laced so that I can wear them as slippers and they are on
        the TYVEK ground cloth below the hammock.

        The only items that are loose in the body of the hammock are the fleece
        clothes bag that is my pillow, an insulating jacket, the sleeping bag and
        closed cell pad.

        I clip a bladder of water/iced tea to the carabiner in the head end of the
        hammock and loop the hydration tube over the ridge line.

        Way more information than you asked for.

        Dick Matthews