Re: [Hammock Camping] where to put the pack, using a hammock

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2004
      > bww00amdahl wrote:
      >
      > >Where does everyone stow their packs and contents when using a
      > >hammock. With a tent , I just drag the pack inside, and can
      > >distribute the sil bags of whatever in different areas of the tent.
      > >
      > >Thanks for the help
      > >Bryan Webb

      I usually hang my food/kitchen from a bear line and empty the
      contents of my pack into one of those white plastic trash compactor
      bags. I have accessory line tied into my hammock knots and I use
      those to position my empty backpack (GoLite Breeze without hip belt)
      under my feet between the layers of my two-layer hammock. (Sometimes
      I put stuff in the pack for insulation.) Depending on the conditions
      and what clothing I have, some of it gets strategicaly placed between
      the two layers to improve insulation. The trash compactor bag goes
      outside of my hammock within reach, in case I want access to
      something. I use my silnylon clothes bag for a pillow and sometimes
      put clothes in my sleeping bag stuff sack to place under my knees.

      Youngblood
    • Bruce Calkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2004
        I don't know about better, What I do is throw a loop with a mini-biner
        around a convenient tree. (Often one of the hammock support trees.) The
        pack clips to the mini-biner and gets to wear it's pack cover. The last
        trip my clothing bag formed part of my padding/insulation under me inside
        the hammock. Experiments will continue through the summer.

        Black Wolfe

        > Anyone else have better solutions?
      • Dick Matthews
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2004
          Byran,

          I put everything in a garbage bag inside my pack and use lines to suspend the
          pack in the trees as a "rodent bag." Rig the "rodent bag" before dark because
          it is a real PITA to do it with your headlamp.

          My fanny pack with emergency equipment and sanitary supplies is snapped over
          the foot end of the hammock line. On the head end of the hammock line I have
          a single clothes clip where I hang the socks that I wore that day. On the
          foot end of the hammock line I have 2 clothes clips that hold my rain jacket
          and hat. The clothes clips are the way that I can tell the difference between
          the head and foot of the HH when in the snakeskins.
          http://trailquest.net/dlgcclothesclip.html

          Glasses and red LED light goes in the mesh bag on the ridge line.

          My shoes are loosely laced so that I can wear them as slippers and they are on
          the TYVEK ground cloth below the hammock.

          The only items that are loose in the body of the hammock are the fleece
          clothes bag that is my pillow, an insulating jacket, the sleeping bag and
          closed cell pad.

          I clip a bladder of water/iced tea to the carabiner in the head end of the
          hammock and loop the hydration tube over the ridge line.

          Way more information than you asked for.

          Dick Matthews