Re: [Hammock Camping] where to put the pack, using a hammock

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28 11:18 PM
      I've left it out, under the hammock in a trash bag, like Steve, brining all but the cook
      set into the hammock with me.

      I hang some of rest off the ridge line (HH or Speer) and some on the hang lines
      (hammock -> tree), but still under the tarp, and some as pillows, and foot insulation.

      I have a new pack (Granite Gear Vapor Trail, that I've not had a chance to really get on
      the trail with, but is small and flexible enough that I might try it under my feet/knees
      in my Speer (don't think it would work as well on my HH).

      On my next home made hammock, I plan to incorporate some loops inside the
      hammock at the head and foot, both for grabbing to reposition, but also to tie off
      other gear when not using a ridge line.

      Shane "Mirage"...

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@y...>

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29 3:38 AM
        bww00amdahl wrote:

        >Where does everyone stow their packs and contents when using a
        >hammock. With a tent , I just drag the pack inside, and can
        >distribute the sil bags of whatever in different areas of the tent.
        >
        >Thanks for the help
        >Bryan Webb

        I normally put the pack on the ground under my hammock. If it looks
        like a thunderstorm is coming, I put the straps down and put the pack
        cover on the pack

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29 5:15 AM
          > bww00amdahl wrote:
          >
          > >Where does everyone stow their packs and contents when using a
          > >hammock. With a tent , I just drag the pack inside, and can
          > >distribute the sil bags of whatever in different areas of the tent.
          > >
          > >Thanks for the help
          > >Bryan Webb

          I usually hang my food/kitchen from a bear line and empty the
          contents of my pack into one of those white plastic trash compactor
          bags. I have accessory line tied into my hammock knots and I use
          those to position my empty backpack (GoLite Breeze without hip belt)
          under my feet between the layers of my two-layer hammock. (Sometimes
          I put stuff in the pack for insulation.) Depending on the conditions
          and what clothing I have, some of it gets strategicaly placed between
          the two layers to improve insulation. The trash compactor bag goes
          outside of my hammock within reach, in case I want access to
          something. I use my silnylon clothes bag for a pillow and sometimes
          put clothes in my sleeping bag stuff sack to place under my knees.

          Youngblood
        • Bruce Calkins
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29 6:38 AM
            I don't know about better, What I do is throw a loop with a mini-biner
            around a convenient tree. (Often one of the hammock support trees.) The
            pack clips to the mini-biner and gets to wear it's pack cover. The last
            trip my clothing bag formed part of my padding/insulation under me inside
            the hammock. Experiments will continue through the summer.

            Black Wolfe

            > Anyone else have better solutions?
          • Dick Matthews
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 29 7:30 AM
              Byran,

              I put everything in a garbage bag inside my pack and use lines to suspend the
              pack in the trees as a "rodent bag." Rig the "rodent bag" before dark because
              it is a real PITA to do it with your headlamp.

              My fanny pack with emergency equipment and sanitary supplies is snapped over
              the foot end of the hammock line. On the head end of the hammock line I have
              a single clothes clip where I hang the socks that I wore that day. On the
              foot end of the hammock line I have 2 clothes clips that hold my rain jacket
              and hat. The clothes clips are the way that I can tell the difference between
              the head and foot of the HH when in the snakeskins.
              http://trailquest.net/dlgcclothesclip.html

              Glasses and red LED light goes in the mesh bag on the ridge line.

              My shoes are loosely laced so that I can wear them as slippers and they are on
              the TYVEK ground cloth below the hammock.

              The only items that are loose in the body of the hammock are the fleece
              clothes bag that is my pillow, an insulating jacket, the sleeping bag and
              closed cell pad.

              I clip a bladder of water/iced tea to the carabiner in the head end of the
              hammock and loop the hydration tube over the ridge line.

              Way more information than you asked for.

              Dick Matthews