where to put the pack, using a hammock

  • bww00amdahl
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28 9:22 PM
      Where does everyone stow their packs and contents when using a
      hammock. With a tent , I just drag the pack inside, and can
      distribute the sil bags of whatever in different areas of the tent.

      Thanks for the help
      Bryan Webb
    • SF Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28 10:18 PM
        Depends on the pack, the weather and other considerations, but
        generally I hang it up outside the hammock (sometimes I stuff it in a
        plastic garbage bag and just place it underneath the hammock). I find
        that even small packs are a pain if they're rattling around inside the
        hammock.

        I have a removable lid on a couple of my packs, and I usually take
        that, my hydration bladder, and a couple of small stuff sacks (one used
        for a pillow) inside with me. I often use extra clothing to line the
        sides of the hammock beyond my pad to block some of the cold. After all
        that, and with my food bear-bagged, there's really not much left inside
        the pack, so it's not a big deal to hang it from a branch or the
        hammock line.

        Anyone else have better solutions?

        On Apr 28, 2004, at 9:22 PM, bww00amdahl wrote:

        > Where does everyone stow their packs and contents when using a
        > hammock. With a tent , I just drag the pack inside, and can
        > distribute the sil bags of whatever in different areas of the tent.
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 28 11:18 PM
          I've left it out, under the hammock in a trash bag, like Steve, brining all but the cook
          set into the hammock with me.

          I hang some of rest off the ridge line (HH or Speer) and some on the hang lines
          (hammock -> tree), but still under the tarp, and some as pillows, and foot insulation.

          I have a new pack (Granite Gear Vapor Trail, that I've not had a chance to really get on
          the trail with, but is small and flexible enough that I might try it under my feet/knees
          in my Speer (don't think it would work as well on my HH).

          On my next home made hammock, I plan to incorporate some loops inside the
          hammock at the head and foot, both for grabbing to reposition, but also to tie off
          other gear when not using a ridge line.

          Shane "Mirage"...

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@y...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29 3:38 AM
            bww00amdahl wrote:

            >Where does everyone stow their packs and contents when using a
            >hammock. With a tent , I just drag the pack inside, and can
            >distribute the sil bags of whatever in different areas of the tent.
            >
            >Thanks for the help
            >Bryan Webb

            I normally put the pack on the ground under my hammock. If it looks
            like a thunderstorm is coming, I put the straps down and put the pack
            cover on the pack

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 29 5:15 AM
              > bww00amdahl wrote:
              >
              > >Where does everyone stow their packs and contents when using a
              > >hammock. With a tent , I just drag the pack inside, and can
              > >distribute the sil bags of whatever in different areas of the tent.
              > >
              > >Thanks for the help
              > >Bryan Webb

              I usually hang my food/kitchen from a bear line and empty the
              contents of my pack into one of those white plastic trash compactor
              bags. I have accessory line tied into my hammock knots and I use
              those to position my empty backpack (GoLite Breeze without hip belt)
              under my feet between the layers of my two-layer hammock. (Sometimes
              I put stuff in the pack for insulation.) Depending on the conditions
              and what clothing I have, some of it gets strategicaly placed between
              the two layers to improve insulation. The trash compactor bag goes
              outside of my hammock within reach, in case I want access to
              something. I use my silnylon clothes bag for a pillow and sometimes
              put clothes in my sleeping bag stuff sack to place under my knees.

              Youngblood
            • Bruce Calkins
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 29 6:38 AM
                I don't know about better, What I do is throw a loop with a mini-biner
                around a convenient tree. (Often one of the hammock support trees.) The
                pack clips to the mini-biner and gets to wear it's pack cover. The last
                trip my clothing bag formed part of my padding/insulation under me inside
                the hammock. Experiments will continue through the summer.

                Black Wolfe

                > Anyone else have better solutions?
              • Dick Matthews
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 29 7:30 AM
                  Byran,

                  I put everything in a garbage bag inside my pack and use lines to suspend the
                  pack in the trees as a "rodent bag." Rig the "rodent bag" before dark because
                  it is a real PITA to do it with your headlamp.

                  My fanny pack with emergency equipment and sanitary supplies is snapped over
                  the foot end of the hammock line. On the head end of the hammock line I have
                  a single clothes clip where I hang the socks that I wore that day. On the
                  foot end of the hammock line I have 2 clothes clips that hold my rain jacket
                  and hat. The clothes clips are the way that I can tell the difference between
                  the head and foot of the HH when in the snakeskins.
                  http://trailquest.net/dlgcclothesclip.html

                  Glasses and red LED light goes in the mesh bag on the ridge line.

                  My shoes are loosely laced so that I can wear them as slippers and they are on
                  the TYVEK ground cloth below the hammock.

                  The only items that are loose in the body of the hammock are the fleece
                  clothes bag that is my pillow, an insulating jacket, the sleeping bag and
                  closed cell pad.

                  I clip a bladder of water/iced tea to the carabiner in the head end of the
                  hammock and loop the hydration tube over the ridge line.

                  Way more information than you asked for.

                  Dick Matthews