Re: hiking trip

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2004
      Coy,

      Right now, I am scheduled to start out from Springer on or about the
      1st of June to hike the GA section.

      Dave

      > Dave, Rick, John, others
      >
      > I was just talking with Cody about going back to the hammock
      hanging
      > event. He has this bright idea of hiking in from Springer. I
      would
      > have to take a few days off. I will definantly have to get in a
      > little better shape between now and then. Would anybody be
      > interested in starting at Springer or even a little closere in and
      > hiking to the hangout. Its just over 100 miles IIRC. I would have
      > my wife meet us at the campout so we should be able to shuttle back
      > to vehicles on Sunday. Contact me off list if interested.
      >
      > Coy Boy
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2004
        then just hike fast and catch up!!!

        Coy Boy
        PS I'm seriously thinking of starting at the Cosby Campground
        parking area. Good place to park and leave a vehicle. Hiking out
        of the park on day one thus avoiding needing to worry with permits.
        Another possibility is to start at Newfound Gap and just hike down
        the side trails a little ways at night to avoid the shelters. Only
        the designated camps tend to be several miles off the AT. Another
        possibility woiuld be to hike From NFG to Hughs Ridge Trail then
        conitinuing on around on the various trails around the base of the
        mountains till hooking back onto the AT at Davenport. Its about 10
        miles total to hike up to the AT from Cosby, continue north on the
        AT and get out of the park. How far is it to Hot Springs from
        Davenport? Does the AT run close to the HotSprings Campground? If
        my wife dont show, could I pay sombody for a ride (Cody and I) back
        to Cosby. Hopefully someone headed back in that direction?