Re: [Hammock Camping] 7th SHHA Campout

  • Kim Muller
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 28, 2004
      Hi Coy,

      I'll look for your itinerary. Maybe we'll meet at the hangout.

      Kim

      Hi Kim

      In reading ahead I see Rick suggest NewFound Gap as a good starting
      point for my hike.  Would love to meet on the trail or at the
      hangout.  I'll post my itinerary once I get it firm.

      Coy Boy
    • papajohnhikes
      Message 2 of 15 , May 21, 2004
        I will not be able to make this event as I am starting a thru-hike of
        the smokies on 6/12. See you at #8!

        Papa John
      • Michael Tyson
        Message 3 of 15 , May 22, 2004
          Hey...
          Are you starting at Davenport or Fontana? I'm going
          through the smokys starting on the 13th nobo from
          fontana. It would be great to run into you. You
          probably will stay ahead of me though.
          --- papajohnhikes <papajohnhikes@...> wrote:
          > I will not be able to make this event as I am
          > starting a thru-hike of
          > the smokies on 6/12. See you at #8!
          >
          > Papa John

          Yahoo! Domains � Claim yours for only $14.70/year
        • papajohnhikes
          Message 4 of 15 , May 24, 2004
            We are starting at Fontana on the 12th. Here is the schedule:

            Mollies Ridge
            Derrick Knob
            Mt. Collins
            Pecks Corner
            Cosby Knob
            Standing Bear Farm

            Do you have your reservations already?

            John

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Michael Tyson
            Message 5 of 15 , May 24, 2004
              We'll miss ya Papa John...Ed

            • Michael Tyson
              Message 6 of 15 , May 24, 2004
                Yeah...
                13th birch springs campsite
                Spence Field
                Double Spring Gap
                IceWater Spring
                Tri-Corner Knob
                out at Davenport Gap Friday.

                I'm also starting at Springer this Sunday...I'm so
                excited! The plan is to hike to the NC border from
                may 30-June 5. Hike from there to Fontana by june 12.
                After the smokys...heading up to va 42 and North
                until the end of July.... I don't know if we will run
                into one another....but it would be nice. Have a
                great hike!

                Message 7 of 15 , May 24, 2004
                  Looks like I'll be a day off from you. I'm starting at Springer on May 31st and hope to end at Wallace Gap on the 10th of June.
                  I'm also starting at Springer this Sunday...I'm so
                  excited!  The plan is to hike to the NC border from
                  may 30-June 5.  Hike from there to Fontana by june 12.
                   After the smokys...heading up to va 42 and North
                  until the end of July....  I don't know if we will run
                  into one another....but it would be nice.   Have a
                  great hike!
                  --- papajohnhikes <papajohnhikes@...> wrote:
                  > We are starting at Fontana on the 12th.  Here is the
                  > schedule:
                  >
                  > Mollies Ridge
                  > Derrick Knob
                  > Mt. Collins
                  > Pecks Corner
                  > Cosby Knob
                  > Standing Bear Farm
                  >
                  > Do you have your reservations already?
                  >
                  > John
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Michael Tyson
                  >
                  > <shadesofblue33@y...> wrote:
                  > > Hey...
                  > > Are you starting at Davenport or Fontana?  I'm
                  > going
                  > > through the smokys starting on the 13th nobo from
                  > > fontana.  It would be great to run into you.  You
                  > > probably will stay ahead of me though.

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/z1TolB/TM

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Michael Tyson
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 24, 2004
                    maybe the hiking gods will let all of us run into each
                    other. It would be great to see people from the forum
                    on the trail. Good luck with your hike Kim and Papa.

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                  • Kim Muller
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 24, 2004
                      <<maybe the hiking gods will let all of us run into each
                      other.  It would be great to see people from the forum
                      on the trail.  Good luck with your hike Kim and Papa.>>

                      I do hope so! Good luck with your hike!

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 28, 2004
                        papajohnhikes wrote:

                        >We are starting at Fontana on the 12th. Here is the schedule:
                        >
                        >Mollies Ridge
                        >Derrick Knob
                        >Mt. Collins
                        >Pecks Corner
                        >Cosby Knob
                        >Standing Bear Farm
                        >
                        >Do you have your reservations already?
                        >
                        >John

                        Just got back from half the smoky mts as well as the miles between there
                        and springer.

                        Moly's Ridge: Great shelter, recently renovated. Cage is gone.
                        Translucent pannel in roof. Water source pretty good, slow piped spring.

                        Derrick Knob: not renovated, but decent. Great water source. Lots of
                        deer interested in seeing if anyone has anything to give them. Just
                        north of Derrick Knob, LOTs of pig activity. I saw two official park
                        pig hunters whiile I was out.

                        The whole trail once on top, is lined with thigh high grass and
                        occasional poison ivy. Good high gaiters are especially useful when the
                        grass is wet. Despite OR gaiters and gortex shoes, my feet got soaked
                        the morning after a hard rain.

                        You have not chosen to stay at some real pits. Good for you.

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 28, 2004
                          Michael Tyson wrote:

                          >Yeah...
                          >13th birch springs campsite - didn't walk down
                          >Spence Field - didn't walk over
                          >Double Spring Gap - a real pig sty...
                          >IceWater Spring
                          >Tri-Corner Knob
                          >out at Davenport Gap Friday.
                          >
                          >I'm also starting at Springer this Sunday...I'm so
                          >excited! The plan is to hike to the NC border from
                          >may 30-June 5. Hike from there to Fontana by june 12.
                          > After the smokys...heading up to va 42 and North
                          >until the end of July.... I don't know if we will run
                          >into one another....but it would be nice. Have a
                          >great hike!

                          BTW, as a thru hiker, you can just annotate your permit as AT THRU HIKER
                          and stay at whatever shelter you please and walk more or less than you
                          originally planed. For the park purposes, a thru hiker is one who
                          begins at least 50 miles outside the park on the AT.

                          No reservations are needed for the thru hiker.

                          Rick
                        • John Kennedy
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 28, 2004
                            Thanks Rick,

                            I guess I will break out the OR gaiters for this hike. Don't need any PI or
                            ticks.

                            Let me know when you have your pictures posted. Am very interested in your
                            hike.

                            John

                            >Just got back from half the smoky mts as well as the miles between there
                            >and springer.
                            >
                            >Moly's Ridge: Great shelter, recently renovated. Cage is gone.
                            >Translucent pannel in roof. Water source pretty good, slow piped spring.
                            >
                            >Derrick Knob: not renovated, but decent. Great water source. Lots of
                            >deer interested in seeing if anyone has anything to give them. Just
                            >north of Derrick Knob, LOTs of pig activity. I saw two official park
                            >pig hunters whiile I was out.
                            >
                            >The whole trail once on top, is lined with thigh high grass and
                            >occasional poison ivy. Good high gaiters are especially useful when the
                            >grass is wet. Despite OR gaiters and gortex shoes, my feet got soaked
                            >the morning after a hard rain.
                            >
                            >You have not chosen to stay at some real pits. Good for you.
                            >
                            >Rick

                            Get 200+ ad-free, high-fidelity stations and LIVE Major League Baseball
                            Gameday Audio! http://radio.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200491ave/direct/01/