Re: [Hammock Camping] 7th SHHA Campout

  • Kim Muller
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 27, 2004
      I'm going to be backpacking from Springer to Deep Gap the week before..........so I may be interested in this weekend! Maybe I'll meet Coy on the way? :)

      Kim
      Coy, You do know it is about 270 miles from Springer
      Mtn to Hot Springs, NC?  Or do you just expect to hike
      the last 100 miles or so with Cody(?)?  Or, are you
      thinking it will be at Rainbow Springs, no, but what
      is another 170 miles.  Go for it, you can do it.
      Bill in Texas

      7th SHHA Campout
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 27, 2004
        Message
        Hope you can make it Kim--it should be a great campout...Ed
        Moderator, Hammock Camping-L

        From: Kim Muller [mailto:kim004@...]
        Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] 7th SHHA Campout

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 27, 2004
          Hi Kim

          In reading ahead I see Rick suggest NewFound Gap as a good starting
          point for my hike. Would love to meet on the trail or at the
          hangout. I'll post my itinerary once I get it firm.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Muller" <kim004@f...>
          wrote:
          > I'm going to be backpacking from Springer to Deep Gap the week
          before..........so I may be interested in this weekend! Maybe I'll
          meet Coy on the way? :)

          > Kim
          > Coy, You do know it is about 270 miles from Springer
          > Mtn to Hot Springs, NC? Or do you just expect to hike
          > the last 100 miles or so with Cody(?)? Or, are you
          > thinking it will be at Rainbow Springs, no, but what
          > is another 170 miles. Go for it, you can do it.
          > Bill in Texas
          >
          > 7th SHHA Campout
          > > > Hot Springs Campground
          > > > Hot Springs, NC
          > > > Saturday June 12, 2004
        • Kim Muller

            Message 5 of 15 , May 21, 2004
              I will not be able to make this event as I am starting a thru-hike of
              the smokies on 6/12. See you at #8!

              Papa John
            • Michael Tyson
              Message 6 of 15 , May 22, 2004
                Hey...
                Are you starting at Davenport or Fontana? I'm going
                through the smokys starting on the 13th nobo from
                fontana. It would be great to run into you. You
                probably will stay ahead of me though.
                --- papajohnhikes <papajohnhikes@...> wrote:
                > I will not be able to make this event as I am
                > starting a thru-hike of
                > the smokies on 6/12. See you at #8!
                >
                > Papa John

                Yahoo! Domains � Claim yours for only $14.70/year
              • papajohnhikes
                Message 7 of 15 , May 24, 2004
                  We are starting at Fontana on the 12th. Here is the schedule:

                  Mollies Ridge
                  Derrick Knob
                  Mt. Collins
                  Pecks Corner
                  Cosby Knob
                  Standing Bear Farm

                  Do you have your reservations already?

                  John

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Michael Tyson
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 24, 2004
                    We'll miss ya Papa John...Ed

                  • Michael Tyson
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 24, 2004
                      Yeah...
                      13th birch springs campsite
                      Spence Field
                      Double Spring Gap
                      IceWater Spring
                      Tri-Corner Knob
                      out at Davenport Gap Friday.

                      I'm also starting at Springer this Sunday...I'm so
                      excited! The plan is to hike to the NC border from
                      may 30-June 5. Hike from there to Fontana by june 12.
                      After the smokys...heading up to va 42 and North
                      until the end of July.... I don't know if we will run
                      into one another....but it would be nice. Have a
                      great hike!

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 24, 2004
                        Looks like I'll be a day off from you. I'm starting at Springer on May 31st and hope to end at Wallace Gap on the 10th of June.
                        I'm also starting at Springer this Sunday...I'm so
                        excited!  The plan is to hike to the NC border from
                        may 30-June 5.  Hike from there to Fontana by june 12.
                         After the smokys...heading up to va 42 and North
                        until the end of July....  I don't know if we will run
                        into one another....but it would be nice.   Have a
                        great hike!
                        --- papajohnhikes <papajohnhikes@...> wrote:
                        > We are starting at Fontana on the 12th.  Here is the
                        > schedule:
                        >
                        > Mollies Ridge
                        > Derrick Knob
                        > Mt. Collins
                        > Pecks Corner
                        > Cosby Knob
                        > Standing Bear Farm
                        >
                        > Do you have your reservations already?
                        >
                        > John
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Michael Tyson
                        >
                        > <shadesofblue33@y...> wrote:
                        > > Hey...
                        > > Are you starting at Davenport or Fontana?  I'm
                        > going
                        > > through the smokys starting on the 13th nobo from
                        > > fontana.  It would be great to run into you.  You
                        > > probably will stay ahead of me though.

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/z1TolB/TM

                             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Michael Tyson
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 24, 2004
                          maybe the hiking gods will let all of us run into each
                          other. It would be great to see people from the forum
                          on the trail. Good luck with your hike Kim and Papa.

                          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                        • Kim Muller
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 24, 2004
                            <<maybe the hiking gods will let all of us run into each
                            other.  It would be great to see people from the forum
                            on the trail.  Good luck with your hike Kim and Papa.>>

                            I do hope so! Good luck with your hike!

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 28, 2004
                              papajohnhikes wrote:

                              >We are starting at Fontana on the 12th. Here is the schedule:
                              >
                              >Mollies Ridge
                              >Derrick Knob
                              >Mt. Collins
                              >Pecks Corner
                              >Cosby Knob
                              >Standing Bear Farm
                              >
                              >Do you have your reservations already?
                              >
                              >John

                              Just got back from half the smoky mts as well as the miles between there
                              and springer.

                              Moly's Ridge: Great shelter, recently renovated. Cage is gone.
                              Translucent pannel in roof. Water source pretty good, slow piped spring.

                              Derrick Knob: not renovated, but decent. Great water source. Lots of
                              deer interested in seeing if anyone has anything to give them. Just
                              north of Derrick Knob, LOTs of pig activity. I saw two official park
                              pig hunters whiile I was out.

                              The whole trail once on top, is lined with thigh high grass and
                              occasional poison ivy. Good high gaiters are especially useful when the
                              grass is wet. Despite OR gaiters and gortex shoes, my feet got soaked
                              the morning after a hard rain.

                              You have not chosen to stay at some real pits. Good for you.

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 28, 2004
                                Michael Tyson wrote:

                                >Yeah...
                                >13th birch springs campsite - didn't walk down
                                >Spence Field - didn't walk over
                                >Double Spring Gap - a real pig sty...
                                >IceWater Spring
                                >Tri-Corner Knob
                                >out at Davenport Gap Friday.
                                >
                                >I'm also starting at Springer this Sunday...I'm so
                                >excited! The plan is to hike to the NC border from
                                >may 30-June 5. Hike from there to Fontana by june 12.
                                > After the smokys...heading up to va 42 and North
                                >until the end of July.... I don't know if we will run
                                >into one another....but it would be nice. Have a
                                >great hike!

                                BTW, as a thru hiker, you can just annotate your permit as AT THRU HIKER
                                and stay at whatever shelter you please and walk more or less than you
                                originally planed. For the park purposes, a thru hiker is one who
                                begins at least 50 miles outside the park on the AT.

                                No reservations are needed for the thru hiker.

                                Rick
                              • John Kennedy
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 28, 2004
                                  Thanks Rick,

                                  I guess I will break out the OR gaiters for this hike. Don't need any PI or
                                  ticks.

                                  Let me know when you have your pictures posted. Am very interested in your
                                  hike.

                                  John

                                  >Just got back from half the smoky mts as well as the miles between there
                                  >and springer.
                                  >
                                  >Moly's Ridge: Great shelter, recently renovated. Cage is gone.
                                  >Translucent pannel in roof. Water source pretty good, slow piped spring.
                                  >
                                  >Derrick Knob: not renovated, but decent. Great water source. Lots of
                                  >deer interested in seeing if anyone has anything to give them. Just
                                  >north of Derrick Knob, LOTs of pig activity. I saw two official park
                                  >pig hunters whiile I was out.
                                  >
                                  >The whole trail once on top, is lined with thigh high grass and
                                  >occasional poison ivy. Good high gaiters are especially useful when the
                                  >grass is wet. Despite OR gaiters and gortex shoes, my feet got soaked
                                  >the morning after a hard rain.
                                  >
                                  >You have not chosen to stay at some real pits. Good for you.
                                  >
                                  >Rick

                                  Get 200+ ad-free, high-fidelity stations and LIVE Major League Baseball
                                  Gameday Audio! http://radio.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200491ave/direct/01/