hiking trip

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2004
      Dave, Rick, John, others

      I was just talking with Cody about going back to the hammock hanging
      event. He has this bright idea of hiking in from Springer. I would
      have to take a few days off. I will definantly have to get in a
      little better shape between now and then. Would anybody be
      interested in starting at Springer or even a little closere in and
      hiking to the hangout. Its just over 100 miles IIRC. I would have
      my wife meet us at the campout so we should be able to shuttle back
      to vehicles on Sunday. Contact me off list if interested.

      Coy Boy
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2004
        I meant to add, the start date for the hike would be Monday the 7th.

        Coy Boy

        > Dave, Rick, John, others
        >
        > I was just talking with Cody about going back to the hammock
        hanging
        > event. He has this bright idea of hiking in from Springer. I
        would
        > have to take a few days off. I will definantly have to get in a
        > little better shape between now and then. Would anybody be
        > interested in starting at Springer or even a little closere in and
        > hiking to the hangout. Its just over 100 miles IIRC. I would
        have
        > my wife meet us at the campout so we should be able to shuttle
        back
        > to vehicles on Sunday. Contact me off list if interested.
        >
        > Coy Boy
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2004
          Coy, You do know it is about 270 miles from Springer
          Mtn to Hot Springs, NC? Or do you just expect to hike
          the last 100 miles or so with Cody(?)? Or, are you
          thinking it will be at Rainbow Springs, no, but what
          is another 170 miles. Go for it, you can do it.
          Bill in Texas

          --- Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
          > Dave, Rick, John, others
          >
          > I was just talking with Cody about going back to the
          > hammock hanging
          > event. He has this bright idea of hiking in from
          > Springer. I would
          > have to take a few days off. I will defiantly have
          > to get in a
          > little better shape between now and then. Would
          > anybody be
          > interested in starting at Springer or even a little
          > closer in and
          > hiking to the hangout. Its just over 100 miles
          > IIRC. I would have
          > my wife meet us at the camp-out so we should be able
          > to shuttle back
          > to vehicles on Sunday. Contact me off list if
          > interested.
          >
          > Coy Boy

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2004
            Thanks Bill. I think you just saved me fro a loooong hike to
            nowhere. LOL You think you could make it?

            Boy wouldnt I have felt dumb to hike into Rainbow springs expecting
            to find the SEAHHA hangout. Guess I need to read a ltttle more
            carefully. In any case, scratch my earlier proposal. I still like
            the idea of a long hike into HOT SPRINGS. Where would be a good
            starting point for a 5 day 70 mile hike. I say five for half a day
            Mon the 7th and half a day Sat the 12. I would probably hike from
            south to north or even a good loop hike or and out and back. An
            easy plan would be to hike till wed night in one direction then
            return the same route back to the start point either close to or at
            Hot Springs. I have somewhat of a reputation for my map reading
            skills (hard to imagin seeing how I got Hot Springs and Rainbow
            Springs mixed up). Do I hear fear, no, just consider it adventure.

            Coy Boy

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27, 2004
              Coy wrote:

              >Dave, Rick, John, others
              >
              >I was just talking with Cody about going back to the hammock hanging
              >event. He has this bright idea of hiking in from Springer. I would
              >have to take a few days off. I will definantly have to get in a
              >little better shape between now and then. Would anybody be
              >interested in starting at Springer or even a little closere in and
              >hiking to the hangout. Its just over 100 miles IIRC. I would have
              >my wife meet us at the campout so we should be able to shuttle back
              >to vehicles on Sunday. Contact me off list if interested.
              >
              >Coy Boy

              Hot Springs is 270 miles north of Springer Coy.

              I am doing the first 203 in the last 2 weeks of May. I could be
              interested in Newfound Gap to Hot Springs (67 miles) just before the mid
              June hangout.

              Rick
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 27, 2004
                Hi Rick

                Would be great if you can make it. The distance sounds doable.
                I've hiked some of the AT in the Smokies and the only problem I see
                is getting permits. Have to apply one month out to the day to get
                shelters. I think you are supposed to stay at shelters while in the
                Smokies. I guess from Davenport Gap north would be too short of a
                hike. Any good loop hikes. I been looking online the past hour or
                so and havent had anything jump out at me.

                Coy Boy

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 28, 2004
                  Coy,

                  Right now, I am scheduled to start out from Springer on or about the
                  1st of June to hike the GA section.

                  Dave

                  > Dave, Rick, John, others
                  >
                  > I was just talking with Cody about going back to the hammock
                  hanging
                  > event. He has this bright idea of hiking in from Springer. I
                  would
                  > have to take a few days off. I will definantly have to get in a
                  > little better shape between now and then. Would anybody be
                  > interested in starting at Springer or even a little closere in and
                  > hiking to the hangout. Its just over 100 miles IIRC. I would have
                  > my wife meet us at the campout so we should be able to shuttle back
                  > to vehicles on Sunday. Contact me off list if interested.
                  >
                  > Coy Boy
                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29, 2004
                    then just hike fast and catch up!!!

                    Coy Boy
                    PS I'm seriously thinking of starting at the Cosby Campground
                    parking area. Good place to park and leave a vehicle. Hiking out
                    of the park on day one thus avoiding needing to worry with permits.
                    Another possibility is to start at Newfound Gap and just hike down
                    the side trails a little ways at night to avoid the shelters. Only
                    the designated camps tend to be several miles off the AT. Another
                    possibility woiuld be to hike From NFG to Hughs Ridge Trail then
                    conitinuing on around on the various trails around the base of the
                    mountains till hooking back onto the AT at Davenport. Its about 10
                    miles total to hike up to the AT from Cosby, continue north on the
                    AT and get out of the park. How far is it to Hot Springs from
                    Davenport? Does the AT run close to the HotSprings Campground? If
                    my wife dont show, could I pay sombody for a ride (Cody and I) back
                    to Cosby. Hopefully someone headed back in that direction?