The result of your great hammock tricks...

  • Francois
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2004
      I'm finally done! I found THE perfect way (for me at least..) to rig
      my poncho over my hammock, thanks for your help. I made a folder
      named 'zazou' with pictures of the knots I use. I start by looping
      my yellow poly ropes around the trees, after I clip the ridge line to
      the prusik knots, followed by the poncho over the ridge line. At
      last, I stake the corners of the poncho and tie the hammock while
      protected from the rain. If it flops during the night, I retight the
      ridge line because it as a tault-line hitch.

      That's where I'm at right now, do you guys have any suggestions how I
      can improve my system? The next step is an insulated beer sling....
      -franc
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2004
        Franc,

        It looks good! You may already know this, but you do need to be a
        little careful with the ridgeline that you hang your poncho over.
        The amount of tension on that ridgeline is dependent on your weight
        and the angles of the hammock rope. If the poncho ridgeline changes
        the angle of the hammock rope significantly, the tension on the
        ridgeline can approach or even exceed the tension on the hammock rope
        itself. So, if you use small diameter nylon rope for the poncho
        ridgeline, it may stretch quite a bit when you get into the
        hammock... or if the rope isn't strong enough it could break.

        I have found that the poly rope is very slick and is a little
        difficult to use with taut-line or prusik knots. I have tied
        butterfly knots about 1 foot from the hammock knots on my hammock and
        use the butterfly knots as both a drip-stopper (for when it rains)
        and as an attachment point for my bugnet ridgeline (which I use when
        the mosquitos and such are out). I use a bow-line with a quick
        release to tie the poly hammock rope to the tree-- it works pretty
        well.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Francois" <franczazou@h...>
        wrote:
        > I'm finally done! I found THE perfect way (for me at least..) to
        rig
        > my poncho over my hammock, thanks for your help. I made a folder
        > named 'zazou' with pictures of the knots I use. I start by looping
        > my yellow poly ropes around the trees, after I clip the ridge line
        > the prusik knots, followed by the poncho over the ridge line. At
        > last, I stake the corners of the poncho and tie the hammock while
        > protected from the rain. If it flops during the night, I retight
        the
        > ridge line because it as a tault-line hitch.
        >
        > That's where I'm at right now, do you guys have any suggestions how
        > can improve my system? The next step is an insulated beer sling....
        > -franc
      • Francois
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27, 2004
          > It looks good! You may already know this, but you do need to be a
          > little careful with the ridgeline that you hang your poncho over.

          Good point! In order to give it a tault pitch, i leave the ridge
          line really loose to tie the corner guys and tighten it while laying
          in the hammock. The orange nylon rope stretches a bit, so it takes
          the stlack. What surprises me is that there's NO difference if I'm
          laying in the hammock or not, it's just as tight! I tried with my
          ray-way tarp and it works great too, more pictures to come....
          -franc