7th SEHHA Campout--Hot Springs, NC Jun 12, 2004

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 27, 2004
      It's time for our next southeast hammock hangers campout! Here's the
      details:

      7th SHHA Campout
      Hot Springs Campground
      Hot Springs, NC
      Saturday June 12, 2004

      Join us for the 7th SHHA (Southeast Hammock Hangers Association)
      campout on Saturday, June 12, 2004. It's FREE! (except for your
      camping fee). This is an informal group event and everyone is welcome-
      -veteran, novice or future hammockers. See, learn and share your
      knowledge with other hammock enthusiasts. This will be an easy
      overnight campout at a commercial campground in a beautiful mountain
      river setting near the Appalachian Trail in western North Carolina!
      Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of
      the Hammock Camping Newsletters for a fun mid-summer campout.
      Previous trips were well attended and this is another chance for
      hammockers to show their stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and
      be a part of the 'new way'. Meet old friends and make new ones!
      Check out the newest hammock gear!

      An added bonus this time is the annual Bluff Mountain Bluegrass
      Festival! http://main.nc.us/bluff/ The festival is being held the
      same weekend on the grounds of the Hot Springs Campground--how neat
      is that! A hammock campout and bluegrass festival all in one! Sleep
      like a baby outdoors and listen to live bluegrass music from your
      hammock! It doesn't get any better, so don't miss this one!

      We will camp in the popular Hot Springs Campground approximately 45
      minute drive northwest of Asheville, NC or 1.5 hours east of
      Knoxville, TN. The campground is located on the east side of the
      town of Hot Springs on Highway US 25/70 directly across from the Hot
      Springs Resort and Hot Tubs. The campground is situated on the
      French Broad River and our campsite (#413) is on the rivers' west
      bank. Road access to the campground is from Asheville, NC or
      Newport, TN on US 25/US 70. A few trees are available, but bring
      hammock stands if you have them--we will also provide stands (contact
      us to reserve one). Everyone will be responsible for his or her own
      transportation, gear, behavior, and camping fees ($5/person).

      Show up anytime and leave anytime, but don't miss our free Saturday
      evening hot dog cookout! Following her popular feast at the last
      Hammock Hangers campout, Karen has offered to repeat it again--it's
      not to be missed! Otherwise, everyone will be responsible for his or
      her own meals.

      Upon arrival, check in at the campground office and pay the camping
      fee. Karen and I will be at the campsite Friday afternoon thru mid-
      day Sunday, so arrive anytime after 2 pm Friday. Folding lounge
      chairs might be appropriate for the festival, so bring your own. The
      Hot Springs area abounds with outdoor opportunities like hiking,
      canoeing, kayaking, fishing, mountain biking, etc--you can easily
      combine the hammock campout with an outdoor trip. The Appalachian
      Trail passes thru town and only a few hundred feet from our
      campsite. The French Broad River adjacent to our campsite is a
      popular fishing and floating stream.

      Find complete campground details at:

      http://www.hotspringsspa-nc.com/campground/campground.html

      Find driving directions at: http://www.hotspringsspa-
      nc.com/map/map.html

      Mid-summer temperatures at this elevation can fluctuate wildly, so
      expect daytime temps of 50-80F and nighttime temps of 40-60F. Rain
      is possible so be prepared.

      Signing up is not necessary, but letting us know will be appreciated--
      ed@... or call (828) 724-4444

      Everyone Welcome! See ya at Hot Springs!
      …..Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 27, 2004
        Wooo Hooo I just looked and I'm off that weekend. And I love
        bluegrass. I hope to bring the entire family this time. I will try
        to get some hammock stands built. at least 4. If I get ambitious
        enough I might build a few more to bring along and share. Tell
        Karen to make extra cole slaw! I'm sure you wont mind if I bring
        something for the cookout. Bringing Cody is bad enough (he eats
        enough for 3 right now) and I want to contribute just a little. I
        will probably plan to hike and camp Fri night and spend Sat night at
        the campout. Thanks for plannng this Ed (and Karen).

        Coy Boy

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 27, 2004
          Coy, we'll have the fire ready for you to light! Looking forward to meeting
          the rest of the crew...Ed

        • B D

            Message 5 of 15 , May 18, 2004
              Plans for our next SEHHA campout are well underway. We have about 6
              people already signed up! So I'm out of hammock stands--but not to
              worry since we can actually use existing trees for 3-5 more hammocks!
              Of course everyone attending is encourged to bring their own stand in
              case the trees are already taken. Coy, do you still plan to bring
              multiple stands--will you have any extra ones for other folks?

              Anyone still planing to attend and needing a stand should let me know
              so I might be able to arrange one for you.

              See message # 5526 for details about this free hammock camping
              campout, or check the bottom of the home page at:
              http://www.hammockcamping.com

              Hope to see everyone on June 12...Ed
            • Mirage
              Message 6 of 15 , May 18, 2004
                > Plans for our next SEHHA campout are well underway.
                > Hope to see everyone on June 12...Ed

                Major Bummer.... I totally forgot about this. I'll be in Northern
                VA between the 9th and the 12th of June, but there is no way I'll be
                able to swing the 7 hour drive down to Hot Springs.

                Wish I had remembered, I might have been able to swing a visit.

                I'll be in SE PA from the 12th to the 23rd after that, mostly
                visiting with family and friends.

                Shane "Mirage"...
              • Mirage
                Message 7 of 15 , May 18, 2004
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
                  > I'll be in SE PA from the 12th to the 23rd after that, mostly
                  > visiting with family and friends.
                  >
                  > Shane "Mirage"...

                  Speaking of being in PA for a few weeks, anyone have a suggestion
                  for a weekend section of the AT (or any other favorite trail)?

                  I'll mostly be between Reading, Strasburg and Hershey, with 5 days
                  in Philly at the end. Best I can hope for is 2-3 days to get away,
                  so I might be able to swing a 2 nighter.

                  TIA,

                  Shane "Mirage"...
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1 12:58 PM
                    Hope everyone is planning to attend our next SouthEast Hammock
                    Hangers Campout at Hot Springs, NC on June 12th. See message #5526
                    for full description. Remember this is the bluegrass festival
                    weekend in Hot Springs, so it promisses to be a fun campout.

                    I've already promissed all of my hammock stands, but the campsite has
                    trees suitable for 3 or more hammocks. Does anyone have any extra
                    stands? We might need them. Obviously this would be a great
                    opportunity to perfect those one-tree hammock stands! There's lots
                    of single trees at our campsite and the soil is soft river clay/sand.
                    So don't hesitate to come simply because you don't have a stand--
                    we'll try and accomodate everyone.

                    Several folks plan to come only for the day Saturday anyway. It'll be
                    a great chance to meet lots of hammock hangers and put faces to
                    names....Ed
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 9 5:51 AM
                      Our hammock campout in Hot Springs this weekend promisses to be well
                      attended! Currently we have about 10 confirmed hammock hangers and 10
                      day visitors. And there's always those self-sufficient folks who
                      just show up. While signing up is not required, it will help us plan
                      for the hot dog dinner Saturday nite. In any event, we'll have the
                      fire going and everyone is welcome....Ed

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 14 9:35 AM
                        Our 7th Southeast Hammock Hangers Association Campout at Hot Springs,
                        NC this weekend is now history--my thanks to everyone who attended or
                        came by to say hello. We had a good turnout with 9 hammock sleepers
                        plus another 9 visitors! It was nice to see old friends and make new
                        ones. Attending were: Ed, Karen, John, Sally, Kim, Tammy, Jason,
                        Linda, Jan, OB, DS, Andrea, Cameron (5 weeks old!), Dave, Judy, Bill,
                        & Tom! On yeah, I forgot the 2 dogs and 1 cat.

                        Our riverside camp site provided enough trees for everyone, so we
                        didn't need hammock stands after all. Hot summer temperatures on
                        Friday and Saturday drove some into the river and made us all glad to
                        be under the shade of the trees. Thunder storms on Saturday afternoon
                        added some weather excitment but didn't stop our get together. The
                        rising river worried several of our hammock hangers who were setup at
                        water's edge, but the late-night flashflood warnings from the
                        campground security man proved unnecessary.

                        Everyone enjoyed Karen's hot dog roast, which was rushed, but not
                        stopped by a thunderstorm. The campfire survived the rains and
                        provided the focus for Saturday evening after the storms.

                        We had hammocks from Speer, Hennessy, and Bliss, as well as several
                        Speer-type home made ones. Suess's improved one-tree-one-post
                        hammock stand worked perfectly inspite of the doubtful looks from us
                        tree hangers.

                        Our next campout will be Sept 11 at the Rainbow Springs Campground
                        near Franklin, NC. Hope to see everyone there! ....Ed
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 14 8:33 PM
                          > Our 7th Southeast Hammock Hangers Association Campout at Hot
                          Springs,
                          > NC this weekend is now history--my thanks to everyone who attended
                          or
                          > came by to say hello.

                          I've posted a few photos of our campout--see the SEHHA7 album in the
                          Photos section of this list. Others with photos are welcome to
                          upload theirs as well.

                          The photo with two side by side Speer Hammocks on 3 trees shows our
                          usual 'couples' set up--note that the extra wide tree spacing (19')
                          required extra high tie outs (8') to prevent bottoming out on the
                          ground.

                          The photo of 3 Hennessy Hammocks tied to 3 trees shows just how
                          compact hammocks can be rigged!

                          The last photo shows Suess's one-tree-one-post hammock stand, which
                          worked surprisingly well....Ed
                        • Ralph Oborn
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 14 9:26 PM
                            Ed, I finished your book, liked it, some good ideas. Thanks.

                            When are you gong to make a couples hammock? weight wouldn't be a
                            big issue when snuggling is involved.

                            Ralph

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 15 7:12 AM
                              Hi Ed

                              Just couldnt swing it this time. Sure missed the cookout (ok and
                              the comradary). Maybe the Franklin hangout will work out. Hi
                              Karen. Keep Ed straight.

                              Coy Boy

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 15 7:46 PM
                                You were missed Coy. I had the fire wood all set for ya--neatly piled up and
                                ready to split. Will be looking for ya at Rainbow Springs in Sept....Ed

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 15 7:55 PM
                                  Glad you liked the book Ralph. Lots of folks also ask about a couples
                                  hammock, but like Karen mentioned, we haven't found one yet that passes our
                                  comfort test. There may be one out there, but we just haven't found it yet.
                                  Likewise, I have no clue how to make one that's suitable for long term
                                  sleeping. Our solution is our side-by-side hammocks set up between 3 trees.

                                  Would love to hear from the rest of the List on their two-person use of a
                                  hammock.....Ed