Dogs + hammocks

  • Douglas Kitchen
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2004
      Took the Aussie out this weekend on a 24 mile warm up and test run of the HH Asym.
      He did great!. We made a liitle tent for him out of an 4X8 silnylon tarp. Luckily I had used a 6X2 piece of polarfleece before as his bed when he slept in the tent with me. So when I put that in his tent. He went right in and took a nap. Worked out great. Of course I tied him to a tree so he wouldnt run off in the night.
      My luck wasn't so hot. The first night I put my Big Agnes Horse thief with the 1/4 pad under the air mattress. Woke up with a cold back+butt, 2nd night I put the 1/4 over the air mattress, worked out a lot better. Slept 6 hours straight. Then the temp dropped to around 30, so the Horse thief was a little cold, but I put on an extra layer and went back to sleep.
      I see  now why there is all the chatter about pods and reflectors and such. One's mind tends to problem solve when you are chilly at 2:00 AM.
      Had a nice hike on the Tunxis trail in Northern CT. It is part of the Blue trail system. A bunch of local trails throughout Ct. They do not have camp sites, but they do not say it is illegal either. So we stealthed and had no troubles. Great little hike.
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2004

        How did you rig the dog’s tent? I have my old HH tarp, and could use that. How close was he to you? The MacCat is so huge, I could actually put Lucy under there on a pad, maybe, I think. If I were down low she shouldn’t mind. I am going to start practicing in the back yard with the parachute material I have handing under a shade canopy.

        Marsanne

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27, 2004

            Well, if I had written this, I WOULD have intended it to be funny. LOLOL!

            Marsanne