Re: the new hammock

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2004
      Quoting osteotc <osteotc@...>:

      > hi
      > i am in the UK. hammocking here is cold! i cann't imagine you're
      > exempt from the cold in the USA. i trying to warm up my nights out,
      > can you help me please?
      >
      > firstly i'd like to acknowledge all the input that you make, not only
      > via your many postings on sites like yahoo and white blaze, but also
      > your own website. i have found so much infomation and inspiration on
      > yours, and sgt rocks, sites. thank you so much.
      >
      > i have a $29 2nd's HH expedition 2.5 i bought this after chistmas and
      > have enjoyed a few nights out, and been frozen on many more. i very
      > much like the benefits that hammocking offers, increased comfort and
      > improved sleep plus much more. generaly a better way to exist
      > outdoors. but now the novelty has worn off, i'm seeking to be warm.
      >
      > unfortunately in the UK we seam to get constant cold wind which is
      > often accompanied by horizontal rain, both blowing across the land
      > and through anything in its way! to counter this i have read all of
      > your posts, and those of many others. i find a cheap 10mm pad very
      > good insulation, but like you, the blessed thing keeps popping up
      > from beneath me.
      >
      > i now would like to try and make your latest hammock, because it has
      > a pocket for the pad to fit into. i envisage this to be the most
      > practical answer to the spring loaded pad syndrome.
      >
      > can you please send me any infomation that you think might be useful
      > to help me on my way towards hammocking happiness? i.e. materials and
      > a general outline of what to do and the best order to do it in.
      >
      > many thanks for your time taken in answering my request.
      >
      > kind regards

      osteotc,

      Thanks for the nice words. I always enjoy hearing from someone who is learning
      how to hammock camp. I do not consider myself as having achieved a full
      understanding, but am trying to learn bit by bit.

      First, I would strongly suggest buying Ed Speer's book. He has a great deal of
      advice in the book for building hammocks and also for camping in the cold. It
      is (my opinion) the best thing you can get to improve your cold hammocking skills.

      That book (Hammock Camping) is listed here:
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/

      My latest hammock takes the basic Speer Hammock (the building of that hammock is
      clearly described in the book) and modifies it in the following
      ways:

      - body is 300 cm long and 125 cm wide. This is about 30 cm more narrow than the
      1.9 oz ripstop nylon available in the US, and 30 cm more narrow than described
      in Speer's book.

      - To the middle of the body, I sew a 125x125 cm patch of 1.1 oz ripstop. The
      patch has a simple rolled over sewn hem at the foot and head ends, and is
      connected to the body of the hammock by incorporating the patch in the two long
      hems of the hammock body.

      - All hems on my hammock are sewn with a zigzig stitch so the stitching can
      stretch with the fabric.

      - All material cuts are made with a red-hot knife which cuts and seals the
      material in one step.

      - The patch does not lie flat in the hammock, but tends to be bunched up inside
      the hammock body. Between the patch and the hammock body, I slip the pad. My
      pad is made by cutting a full length, 1.9M x 1 cm thick pad, in half making the
      two pieces just under a meter in length. These are placed in an overlapped
      position, with the center 10 cm or so of the pads overlapped. My aim is to
      place the pads so the head end is even with my shoulders and the foot end
      extends to below my hips. For me, this works out such that the head end of the
      pads is even with the head end of the 125 cm patch. Once in the hammock, the
      patch us usually a little bunched up under my back. I arch between my head and
      bottom, and pull the slack out from behind me, on both sides.

      - I attach the webbing straps by sewing a loop in the end of the webbing.
      Unlike Ed's directions, I do not sew this around the hammock material. Then, I
      form a slip-knot-like noose, using the sewn loop and the standing portion of the
      webbing strap. I snare the hammock, just inside the overhand knot in the
      material. This alternate approach allows me to easily remove the straps from a
      hammock.

      Some reasons this may be useful:
      - the straps are wet and the hammock
      is dry after a rainstorm.
      - I want to wash the hammock in a machine and not worry about the straps
      catching on the machine's mechanism.
      - I want to use the straps on a different hammock.

      I have copied this answer to the hammock camping list, as the metric version may
      be useful to others as well. And as a courtesy, I have also copied it to Ed
      Speer.

      I hope your hammock camping in the cold goes well.

      Other cold weather ideas that you may want to investigate:
      - The Garlington Insulator
      - Smee's HH underquilt
      - The rumored HH underquilt to be revealed at Trail Days in Damascus VA in May
      - The Speer PeaPod
      - My TravelPod
      - My WarmHammock

      Walk Well!