I made my Nuptse blanket into an underquilt last night. It looks like
it's going to work well.
Instead of using it horizontally like David mentioned earlier, I am
using it on the diagonal with the "outside" corners folded toward the
middle. This gives me a double layer of down (2.5 - 4 inches depending
on how the down settles) under my mid section with one layer (~1.5
inches) at my head and feet.
All I had to do is sew on 8 d-rings and two fastex buckles. I am using
webbing to hold each corner to the hammock ends (I am tying it to the
bugnet d-rings on my speer style hammock). I am using Ed's spectra
cord to hold up the sides. The side cords go through properly placed
d-rings and "under" the folds (where the corners fold into the center).
It's hard to explain. I am going hiking this weekend and I will report
back how it works. I will try to remember my camera and take pictures
of the setup, too.
I've got about $40 into the blanket (found on ebay) and around $15
into hardware (d-rings, buckles, webbing, cord). It only took me about
an hour and a half to make it last night. That includes installing a
couple times and experimenting with different lashings. The only
sewing involved was easy, just sewing the webbing onto the quilt for
I don't have a scale yet (one of these days) so I have no idea how
much it weighs. I would estimate between 24-30 ounces.