New Hammock Design

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 20 5:03 PM
      Hi Happy Hangers!

      I ordered material for a new hammock idea that struck me a couple
      nights ago. The goals of this hammock are to "unintegrate" the fly,
      using Deb's freehanging bug net design, and to incorporate a partial
      double bottom.

      Deb has previously described her idea to sew a piece of grosgrain down
      the middle of a piece of bugnet and let the edges hang over the edges
      of the hammock. I will do this, adding some hook and clip hardware at
      each end and a small pocket on each side of the bug net to improve the
      seal between the net and the hammock when there is a breeze.

      The base hammock will be 4 feet wide and of 1.9 oz ripstop. (I pulled
      out one of my standard 5 foot width Speer Hammocks to remember what it
      was like, and even though the temperature was only 75, it felt like I
      was in a deep, windless taco shell compared with the shallow hammock
      my 4 foot wide designs have given me.)

      To this hammock, I will add a 4 x 4 foot square of 1.1 oz ripstop, I
      will sew the hems of the square with a zigzag stitch, so it can
      stretch with the hammock. The square will be sewn to the long edges
      of the base hammock for the central 4 feet. In this pocket, I will
      place the two pieces of closed cell pad I am using as an Overlap Pad.
      The pad pieces I am using with a new pack are sized 22 in x 36 in x
      3/8 in. I cut them from a $7 Coleman pad which started as a pad 24x72.

      This should have most of the advantage of the double bottom hammock I
      have used previously, while decreasing weight. I will be able to
      choose whether to carry the bugnet or the TravelPod as the primary
      hammock accessory, depending on the weather expected.

      For those with a Speer Hammock, a similar 4 foot long by 5 foot wide
      piece could be added to any Speer hammock, decreasing the movement of
      a pad in the hammock, even if you choose to use a full length pad.
      I only stress the requirement to sew the hems that cross from one side
      of the hammock to the other with a zigzag stitch, so the hem does not
      become an uncomfortable band held up by the unstretching polyester
      thread of a straight stitch.

      I expect to build and test the hammock by this weekend, if the
      material arrives quickly.

      Risk
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 20 10:00 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
        [snip...]
        > To this hammock, I will add a 4 x 4 foot square of 1.1 oz ripstop, I
        > will sew the hems of the square with a zigzag stitch, so it can
        > stretch with the hammock. The square will be sewn to the long edges
        > of the base hammock for the central 4 feet. In this pocket, I will
        > place the two pieces of closed cell pad I am using as an Overlap Pad.

        Man, I've been noodling this idea for a few months, but haven't had a
        break to get down to "brass tacks" and document it.

        [snip...]
        > I only stress the requirement to sew the hems that cross from one side
        > of the hammock to the other with a zigzag stitch, so the hem does not
        > become an uncomfortable band held up by the unstretching polyester
        > thread of a straight stitch.

        This was where I kept getting stuck, the lateral hem of the smaller bottom
        layer. All I kept comming up with was making it a bit wider than the
        hammock so that I didn't get the "unstretching" hems across the width.

        I never thought of a zigzag stitch. Brilliant!!

        My idea actually has a fold over of about 2" on either lateral end, creating
        "pockets" that the pad would slip into, preventing it from sliding out at the
        head or foot over night (some of us sleep like helicopters;), and then two
        smaller "straps" about 12-18" from the wider section, one towards the head,
        and one towards the foot, to accomodate a longer pad if desired.

        Your zigzag recomendation was just the piece I was missing to actually
        put my thoughts into a plausable reality.

        Thanks, once again, Rick!

        I've also thought about the bug net, and while not considering the "free
        hanging" option (still assuming ridge cord), I had thought about using
        the hook/loop on either end, and then sewing a hem with shock cord inside
        the long edges. My thought so far is that if the width was right, you would
        end up with a snug fit to the entire hammock body for the full length.

        Does that sound like it would work? I know it's more weight than the pockets
        that you would be using, but in breezy conditions, I would think it to be
        more secure. Not sure, but I'd welcome others take on that.

        I took apart my double bottom camo hammock the other night to play with
        a new idea for a knot/tie off method, but it was an abyssmal failure. Landed
        hard on my rear (I was smart enought to only hang it a few inches off the
        ground). It held deceptively long, even whilst "bouncing" around in it, but
        just as I was getting ready to get out, SPLAT!!!

        It was going to require less fabric length, so I cut mine down to 4'x8', and
        now I guess I have some pieces that will be good for a spear style for my kids.

        LOL, Live and learn!!!

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • Risk
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 21 5:00 AM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:

          > I never thought of a zigzag stitch. Brilliant!!

          Thanks for the kudos Shane. I also use the zigzag on the long edge
          hems so they feel less like ropes under my thighs when sitting in the
          hammock.

          > My idea actually has a fold over of about 2" on either lateral end,
          creating
          > "pockets" that the pad would slip into, preventing it from sliding
          out at the
          > head or foot over night

          I believe that the friction between the top and bottom will keep the
          pad from migrating far. But that is theory or belief. And that is
          the reason for the prototype. I will let the group know how it does.

          > I've also thought about the bug net, and while not considering the
          "free
          > hanging" option (still assuming ridge cord), I had thought about using
          > the hook/loop on either end, and then sewing a hem with shock cord
          inside
          > the long edges. My thought so far is that if the width was right,
          you would
          > end up with a snug fit to the entire hammock body for the full length.
          >
          > Does that sound like it would work?

          I believe the taut shock cord, when not snapped into place outside the
          hammock would stretch across the inside of the hammock, and be very
          much in my way.

          I have been impressed that the free hanging bug net has worked well in
          some pretty bad bug conditions so far. I am interested to see how it
          works with both sides free hanging. Deb, what experience do you have
          with your design in buggy conditions?

          If I had to go to a real closure, I believe I might be experimenting
          with a zipper, oh, and maybe I will come around to velcro again some
          day. Maybe just several small patches instead of the whole length.

          Rick
        • ciyd01
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 21 9:39 AM
            > I believe that the friction between the top and bottom will keep the
            > pad from migrating far. But that is theory or belief. And that is
            > the reason for the prototype. I will let the group know how it
            does.

            If it proves too slippery on it's own, you might add a few dots of
            silicon caulk to provide some 'grippy' surface area.

            > If I had to go to a real closure, I believe I might be experimenting
            > with a zipper, oh, and maybe I will come around to velcro again some
            > day. Maybe just several small patches instead of the whole
            length.

            I have been playing with the idea of using patches of velcro instead
            of a continuous length. First, it would reduce weight. Second, it
            would prevent the velcro from bearing the load of the sleeper as
            there would be no stretch on it. The problem with velcro and bug net
            is the same problem as velcro and pantyhose - snagging. Have you
            thought of using some dress snaps instead? These are the smallish
            one that get sewn on. They should add much weight nor would they
            snag or tear the velcro. How about a few ribbon ties? I'm sure some
            of these are impractical, but I'm just throwing ideas out there in
            hopes that it will spark a better idea from ya'll.

            ciyd
          • Debra Weisenstein
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 22 8:07 AM
              The free-hanging bug net that I made is not completely impervious to
              bugs. In bad conditions, I've spent time killing all mosquitoes I
              could find inside, gone to sleep, and woken up with a couple inside.
              So it seemed to mostly do the job, but not 100%. You have to worry
              about the whether the end velcro is sealed completely around the
              hammock straps (which will shift was you get in), and then the seal
              around the side isn't perfect either. To seal reasonably well, the
              free-hanging net needs to be much longer than it would if it sealed
              with velcro on the hammock top edges, so it may end up weighing as
              much or more as the velcro design. I like your idea about the shock
              cord, but I'd make it adjustable with a cord toggle near the center so
              you can loosen it to get in and out and then tighten it from inside.
              That might work very well.

              DebW

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 23 8:47 PM
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:

                > This should have most of the advantage of the double bottom hammock
                > have used previously, while decreasing weight. I will be able to
                > choose whether to carry the bugnet or the TravelPod as the primary
                > hammock accessory, depending on the weather expected.

                Rick, I must be misunderstood something. How is this saving you
                weight? Wasn't the fabric content of your double bottom hammock two
                pieces of 4'x10' 1.1 oz rip-stop nylon? When I compare this to your
                new one with one 4'x10' piece of 1.9 oz rip-stop nylon plus one piece
                of 4'x4' 1.1 oz rip-stop nylon, I get a small weight increase (9.78
                vs 10.4 oz). Couldn't you have made the bug netting removable on
                your first double bottom hammock as easily as you did on your new
                hammock?

                Just curious,
                Dave
              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 23 8:57 PM
                  Just so I understand, the 4x4 piece is under the hammock to hold a
                  pad in place?

                  But the main pad is inside the hammock with you?

                  Ralph
                • Debra Weisenstein
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 24 5:27 AM
                    Risk, I think you could combine the warm hammock and the light hammock
                    into one. Just add an extra foot or so to the width of the short
                    piece of nylon of the bottom side of your Speer. That leaves room for
                    insulation in the pocket without compressing it. But you need some
                    method to snug it to the bottom of your hammock when the pocket is not
                    full. Maybe a series of 4 straps with sliders on one or both sides or
                    a zig-zagged piece of shock cord. Also a sleeve for adjustable shock
                    cord on the ends of the pocket so things can't pop out.

                    DebW

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
                    > Hi Happy Hangers!
                    >
                    > I ordered material for a new hammock idea that struck me a couple
                    > nights ago. The goals of this hammock are to "unintegrate" the fly,
                    > using Deb's freehanging bug net design, and to incorporate a partial
                    > double bottom.
                    >
                    > Deb has previously described her idea to sew a piece of grosgrain down
                    > the middle of a piece of bugnet and let the edges hang over the edges
                    > of the hammock. I will do this, adding some hook and clip hardware at
                    > each end and a small pocket on each side of the bug net to improve the
                    > seal between the net and the hammock when there is a breeze.
                    >
                    > The base hammock will be 4 feet wide and of 1.9 oz ripstop. (I pulled
                    > out one of my standard 5 foot width Speer Hammocks to remember what it
                    > was like, and even though the temperature was only 75, it felt like I
                    > was in a deep, windless taco shell compared with the shallow hammock
                    > my 4 foot wide designs have given me.)
                    >
                    > To this hammock, I will add a 4 x 4 foot square of 1.1 oz ripstop, I
                    > will sew the hems of the square with a zigzag stitch, so it can
                    > stretch with the hammock. The square will be sewn to the long edges
                    > of the base hammock for the central 4 feet. In this pocket, I will
                    > place the two pieces of closed cell pad I am using as an Overlap Pad.
                    > The pad pieces I am using with a new pack are sized 22 in x 36 in x
                    > 3/8 in. I cut them from a $7 Coleman pad which started as a pad 24x72.
                    >
                    > This should have most of the advantage of the double bottom hammock I
                    > have used previously, while decreasing weight. I will be able to
                    > choose whether to carry the bugnet or the TravelPod as the primary
                    > hammock accessory, depending on the weather expected.
                    >
                    > For those with a Speer Hammock, a similar 4 foot long by 5 foot wide
                    > piece could be added to any Speer hammock, decreasing the movement of
                    > a pad in the hammock, even if you choose to use a full length pad.
                    > I only stress the requirement to sew the hems that cross from one side
                    > of the hammock to the other with a zigzag stitch, so the hem does not
                    > become an uncomfortable band held up by the unstretching polyester
                    > thread of a straight stitch.
                    >
                    > I expect to build and test the hammock by this weekend, if the
                    > material arrives quickly.
                    >
                    > Risk
                  • Risk
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 24 9:23 AM
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <polecatpop@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > Just so I understand, the 4x4 piece is under the hammock to hold a
                      > pad in place?

                      The 4x4 is inside the hammock and the pad is between the two. Its
                      only purpose in life it to keep me from pushing the pad around as I
                      squirm.

                      Risk
                    • Risk
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 24 10:53 AM
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > This should have most of the advantage of the double bottom hammock
                        > > have used previously, while decreasing weight. I will be able to
                        > > choose whether to carry the bugnet or the TravelPod as the primary
                        > > hammock accessory, depending on the weather expected.
                        > >

                        > Rick, I must be misunderstood something. How is this saving you
                        > weight? Wasn't the fabric content of your double bottom hammock two
                        > pieces of 4'x10' 1.1 oz rip-stop nylon? When I compare this to your
                        > new one with one 4'x10' piece of 1.9 oz rip-stop nylon plus one piece
                        > of 4'x4' 1.1 oz rip-stop nylon, I get a small weight increase (9.78
                        > vs 10.4 oz). Couldn't you have made the bug netting removable on
                        > your first double bottom hammock as easily as you did on your new
                        > hammock?
                        >
                        > Just curious,
                        > Dave

                        Your numbers are correct. And yes, the previous double bottom can be
                        built without bug net in the same way. I did make an assumption error
                        that you caught me out on. I may end up building a netless double
                        bottom as well, to compare the two.

                        BTW, the new hammock feels wonderful while sleeping.

                      • canoetrip_2000
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 24 11:11 AM
                          You two are such GEEKS! Somebody needs to line you up and smack you
                          both upside the head with a SLIDE RULE. LOLOLOLOL!
                          Marsanne

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 24 12:08 PM
                            Yeah, LOL to you too. You made a similar comment back when you
                            wanted to know whether to get an 8'x10' or a 10'x12' tarp for your
                            hammock and I tried to point out that you might not like either one
                            and suggested you talk to Brian about making one of his for you. Or,
                            have you forgotten? Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes the
                            little nit-pick details make all the difference between something
                            doing what you want it to do or doing something you don't want it to
                            do. Besides, at times these things just jump out at us technical
                            types... we can't really help ourselves. And then there are the
                            times when we have already looked at the same problem.

                            And, I would advise hanging on to any sliderules you may have as they
                            are or will probably be collectibles. <grin>

                            Dave

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "canoetrip_2000"
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 24 1:06 PM
                              canoetrip_2000 wrote:

                              >You two are such GEEKS! Somebody needs to line you up and smack you
                              >both upside the head with a SLIDE RULE. LOLOLOLOL!
                              >Marsanne

                              Dave, I think we were both complemented. (Yes, I know how to use a
                              slide rule and have a dozen of them.)

                              Geek Rick