Re: [Hammock Camping] Newbie with "Duh" question

  • tjarrell@cox.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20, 2004
      Do all of you out there recommend the Hennessey?
      Golighter
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20, 2004
        Golighter:

        I think everyone on this list who has used an HH can recommend it as being a great hammock. It's a novel and effective design. The materials and construction are first-rate. Overall, it's a good value, too.

        It's not the overall best hammock ever, though. No hammock could be. It's better for some situations than others.

        You're stuck with sleeping inside the bug net, since the net can't be removed. Some people feel the tarp is a little too small for heavy rain or rain in high wind.

        Personally, I prefer the HH when I'm packing for a fast, light trip. The hammock integrates the bug netting and tarp more than most other hammocks, so it's light and fast to put up and take down.

        I don't like it because it seems more difficult to position my pads and gear. With a Speer type hammock, I can just stand up and move stuff around. In a HH I always seem to be lying squarely on top of the thing I'm trying to move. In a Speer type hammock, I can configure the components (hammock, bug netting, tarp) however I like, dispensing with the netting or tarp if the conditions call for it.

        Bear
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 20, 2004
          I like my Clark deluxe jungle hammock. But, then again, it's the
          right hammock for me. Too bad there isn't a "loaner" system for
          folks to test out various hammocks before buying. There are no
          rental camping shops near here but perhaps there is one near you. If
          so, maybe you'll be able to test various hammocks through rental
          although I suspect the shop would carry only one line.
        • canoetrip_2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21, 2004
            I love my HH, but agree with the below comments. I have spent,
            probably, 6 weeks in it the 13 month I have had it. I am dang tired
            of having to rearrange everything every time I get up at night, and
            I ALWAYS get up at night for nature, at least once. On the other
            hand, I live in a buggy climate and must have bomb proof mosquito
            protection.

            I also have a DOG now and it occurs to me the Speer, which hangs
            lower to the ground, would allow me to be closer to the dog and
            hopefully still be able to hammock camp while bringing her along. I
            have some old tent material and am going to make a Speer out of it
            and we will see. I do LOVE the MacCat tarp, which I had made for my
            HH. The tarp which comes with the HH is adequate in light rain, but
            makes a horrendous noise in high winds. I was in the Sierras last
            summer in it and the flapping kept me awake.

            So, by the time you pay $170 for the HH and then don't use its tarp,
            paying another $100 if you get Brian to make a MacCat for you, that
            is one hell of an EXPENSIVE solo shelter. I do sleep GREAT in it,
            though. I have become such a hammock lover that I have a shade
            shelter in my back yard with a parachute hammock under it and I
            spend mornings back there writing on legal pads. And, there is
            nothing like it for naps, especially in rain storms.

            Marsanne

            > I don't like it because it seems more difficult to position my
            pads and
            > gear. With a Speer type hammock, I can just stand up and move
            stuff around.
            > In a HH I always seem to be lying squarely on top of the thing I'm
            trying to
            > move. In a Speer type hammock, I can configure the components
            (hammock, bug
            > netting, tarp) however I like, dispensing with the netting or tarp
            if the
            > conditions call for it.
            >
            > Bear
          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 21, 2004
              Marsanne:

              Rainstorms! Yes!

              And I guess you're right about the HH being expensive. I
              always look for clearance models and the like, so I've been
              able to get all my HHs for around $50.

              -- Bear