Re: [Hammock Camping] BuffaloRiverTripReport

  • canoetrip_2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2004
      I am not using any kind of air mattress in the hammock. I don't know
      the pad thickness, they are the standard blue closed cell foam pads
      you can buy everywhere. One is the wider (24", I think) from Target.
      The other, I bought at a local Wal-mart after listening to the
      weather report. It is too narrow to be the only pad in the hammock,
      but I think it helped a lot. I cut off the bottom third for other
      uses. I like to have a small pad to stand on when getting out of the
      hammock at night and first thing in the morning.

      The McCat tarp is the nickname we gave to the wonderful replacement
      tarps made by our very own Brian McMillian. The tarps which come
      with the HH are inadequate for coverage in heavy rain. Mostly, they
      make awful noise flapping in the wind. I forgot to include the fact
      that one night we had extremely heavy rain and wind, with hail
      warnings and the wind-shedding McCat was fantastic! If you
      plug "McCat" into the search and check the archives from a couple of
      months ago you will see lots of references. Also, there are photos
      of the McCat under strong winds on another trip of mine. I didn't
      take my digital camera this time.

      As for space to weight ratio..this is probably not the best. I think
      a down insulator is better, but I didn't have time to come up with
      one, and I was car camping and then canoe camping so I didn't worry
      about it. Needless to say, the pads are very bulky, and I got tired
      of trying to roll them tight and find the right sized bungee cord,
      so I finally just rolled them and stuck them in a mesh duffle and
      stashed them in the bottom of the canoe with other stuff on top.
      They got wet, but dried with a wipe off and wave over the campfire.

      This is a great insulation system if you're in a hurry and are not
      backpacking, or can find a way to roll up all the pads, etc.
      Glad I made myself a human guinea pig. I had a back up air mattress
      and ground sheet, just in case. But we were in tick country, glad I
      didn't have to find out.
      Marsanne
      > Great report, I have a big agnes system as well, only with the
      Horse Thief. Am I correct in reading that you do not use a big agnes
      air mattress at all? Just the neat sheet double pad pillow thing?
      What thickness foam pads are you using in that?