Hammock in Rocky Mtn NP

  • Tom Palmer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18 9:23 AM
      Hi all,
      I am planning a trip to RMNP in late June and want to use my hammock.
      What I need to know is how practical it is, I cannot find any web
      references to hammock use or even at what level the tree line is for
      my trip planning. I am also a little concerned with snow somewhat.
      Any help/personal experience is greatly appreciated.

      Palmer
    • Alan Miller
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18 6:02 PM
        Tom
        I went on a short fishing trip in RMNP late last June. Hiked up to
        Finch and Pear Lake then hit too much snow to go any further. I was
        glad I had my Hennesy Hammock so I did not have to sleep on the
        ground. I try to keep my base back weight to around 12 lbs so used
        part of a thermarest Z pad under my butt to shoulders and a thin and
        light car window shade under that keeps my feet warm. On top was a
        home made polarguard quilt. I wore my base layer shirt, microfleece
        100 zip up shirt, fleece vest, light polargard sweater, fleece hat,
        lycra pants and warm socks. I was very comfortable and warm. Temp
        was probably in the high 30's to low 40's.
        We had a lot of snow last March but not much this year, however
        Longs and Meeker Peak have a lot of snow on them right now. I don't
        usually hike the park much as areas just outside have little use but
        the permit systems keeps the trail use down.
        Enjoy
        Alan
        -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Palmer" <boydpalmer@y...>