BuffaloRiverTripReport

  • canoetrip_2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2004
      HI All,
      I am in my mother's house in northern Louisiana after spending a
      week running whitewater creeks in nortwest Arkansas over the long
      Easter weekend. We car camped at Long Pool FS campground north of
      Russellville, AR and ran the Big Piney Creek for 3 days. For WW
      enthusiasts, it is not to be missed if you can get to it!

      Then, a group split off and did 3 days and 2 nights on the Buffalo,
      camping along the way. Mixed in with a Motel 6 stay in Russellville
      due to car trouble, I spent a total of 6 nights in my HH. The
      weather ranged from warm-ish (lows low 50s) and rainy, to cold (low
      40s) and rainy, to REALLY cold and clear. The coldest nights were on
      the Buffalo, where it got down to 29 one night and 31 the next. I
      was TOASTY warm, using this very simple insulation:
      1. Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 Degree (down) Bag, which has insulation
      on top only, a bottom sleeve for a pad, and sleeve for a pillow. I
      used the pillow sleeve, will NEVER go back to anything else.
      2. Neat Sheet pillow case style with 2 closed cell foam pads and a
      car reflector underneath. I used the second pad only on the coldest
      nights.
      3. My homemade under-hammock insulator, crudely made out of a
      quality space blanket, to fit the contours of the HH with a slight
      air space.
      4. McCat tarp, of course!

      For clothes, I wore capeline underwear, and fleece pants. I started
      off with a fleece top but always ended up taking it off and could
      have done with just the long johns but too much trouble to take the
      fleece pants off too. I wore a fleece neck warmer as a partial cap
      over my ears, but ended up taking it off, too.

      The second night on the Buffalo, we camped on a very rocky gravel
      bar. I was surprised to find suitable trees. The next morning,
      everyone else was fussing about rocks under their pads. I, ON THE
      OTHER HAND! My trip companions, from two south Louisiana paddling
      clubs, have nicknamed my HH "Marsanne's Womb".

      I have a complication now, though. After I got off the river I
      stopped at my aunt's home in north central Arkansas. She and her
      husband live on a lake. Last November they took in a beautiful young
      dog that some idiot threw out in their neighborhood. It was love at
      first sight and she is mine now. I guess I am going to have to also
      come up with a tent because she is very energetic, a wonderful
      companion, and I cannot imagine leaving her every time I go out.
      Somebody should make dog-sized free standing tents for those of us
      who love dogs but don't want to give up our hammocks!

      As for the Buffalo, it was a great float, but if you go, make sure
      you pay attention to the water levels. It was on the low side, and
      if it had been even a couple of inches lower, would have NOT been
      fun. But when it is floatable, there is no place like it! Also,
      carry your own drinking water. We saw something disgusting...a place
      where someone had pooped in the open, on the edge of a beautiful
      waterfall, whose creek, of course, runs into the river. Such a thing
      is unimanigable to me, but it is amazing, the kinds of nuts out
      there. The Buffalo River basin is very heavily used by floaters,
      hikers, and people of all sorts. I hate to end on this note, but it
      was real eye-opener for me!

      Marsanne
    • Mary Webster
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2004
        They did! - Mary Webster

        http://www.sitstay.com/store/equip/packapup.shtml

        > Somebody should make dog-sized free standing tents
        > for those of us
        > who love dogs but don't want to give up our
        > hammocks!

        http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
      • canoetrip_2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2004
          This is HILARIOUS! However, the two pound weight...and the pricetag!
          My dog only weighs 30 pounds. That's a much higher shelter
          to "person or animal in the shelter" ratio than my HH to me! Maybe
          if I hang the MacCat high and the hammock low and put this tent
          under the MacCat so she could hear me... I can just feel it
          happening...me justifying a way to buy this stupid thing.

          It reminds me of a trip to New York from New Orleans last December.
          The nice young Tulane student on his way home for the long holiday
          break had a sweet kitty in a fabric carry on bag. It was a direct,
          non-stop flight. The kitty chewed through a weak area of the zipper
          and when we landed we were trying to figure out how to keep her from
          leaping out. I can just see Lucy doing the same thing. Has anybody
          had one of these things and had it work?

          Other ideas...Make a Speer, use the MacCat, drape the bug netting
          from the MacCat...make some kind of floor...the idea is to keep the
          dog contained... AAAUUUGGGHHH!
          Marsanne

          > They did! - Mary Webster
          >
          > http://www.sitstay.com/store/equip/packapup.shtml
          >

          > > Somebody should make dog-sized free standing tents
          > > for those of us
          > > who love dogs but don't want to give up our
          > > hammocks!

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 19, 2004
            Enclosures like this are pretty common among show people. I've seen
            lots of different types in the last few years but don't know any
            brand names or weights. I bet some internet searches would come up
            with more than you'd think. Other than tents, try looking under soft
            sided carriers.

            Jamie in AZ

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mary Webster