Re: [Hammock Camping] RE:Self Tension for Fly

  • Francois
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16, 2004
      > For the application you describe, I just use 550 paracord.
      > It stretches, sure. But I tie it around the tree with
      > tautline hitches and can get it just as tight as I like by
      > "ratcheting" or rolling the loop around the trunk and
      > sliding the knot to take up the slack. If you take care to
      > position the knots under your tarp, you can even tighten the
      > line without getting wet.
      >
      > Bear

      This is what i'm doing now. I was a little worried about the hitch
      slipping in wet conditions but it seems ok. My problem was keeping
      the tarp tault because it is tied to the hammock rope with a prusik
      knot, not directly to the tree.
      I'll try with poly rope 3/8 and nylon webbing 3/4 (can't find poly
      here..) and will give you feed back on stretch and the like. I had
      1/2 inch webbing at home and made a test: it does hold a prusik
      knot!!
      -franc