Re: butt scraping floppy fly madness

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
      wrote:

      > Whoa on that 3/8ths in. rope from Lowe's. It's large, soft, easy
      > handle, and doesn't stretch hardly any... but it will jam into an
      > untiable mess if (a) a knot is used and (b) human-sized weight is
      > loaded onto it. I know because I tried some

      The rope works for me like this:

      I have 10' of rope on each side of the hammock body, and generally
      try to find two trees that are just a little further apart than the
      tips of my two outstretched hiking poles. This allows me to wrap the
      rope about 3 to 4 times around the tree before tying the knot. I
      usually use 2 half hitches, with the last hitch just looped (like a
      slip knot). I can untie and unwrap in about 10 seconds.

      I have now taken to tying the support rope to the hammock body with
      a clove hitch topped by a half hitch. I did this on my current
      hammock, by gathering the hammock body material how I wanted it, and
      rather than tying the Speer knot, I wrapped it from the end with
      1/8" cord for about 3 inches. I then tied the clove hitch inside of
      that wrapping; so, the wrapping acts as a jam knot, and the clove
      hitch doesn't slip off. If necessary, this can be untied fairly
      quickly, but sometimes the clove hitch turns over on itself an is
      fairly hard to untie; however, even then, it can be done in a few
      minutes.

      Also note, wrapping the rope around the tree several times
      distributes the load. I consistently use the same two trees for
      testing in my yard, and there is only a little scuffing on the outer
      bark. I am considering carrying ONE tree hugger strap in case I
      need to use a wimpy tree.