Re: [Hammock Camping] RE:Self Tension for Fly

  • neptunebeach@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15 11:46 AM
      If you check out the tech sheets of various rope suppliers you should find the stretch characteristics of each type of rope listed. I'm not a climber, but my understanding is that climbing ropes are designed to stretch; they're "dynamic" so will provide some shock absorption in a fall. Most hardware store types are also high stretch/ low cost. You'd likely find that lines/ropes intended for sailing are designed to be low stretch (except anchor "rodes" which stretch a lot)and "to hell with the cost! We're yachtsmen!" The Spectra-cored 1/16" line that Speershammocks.com sells is a low stretch design. Spectra core is the hi-tech for low stretch/ light weight. One ohter ultralight backpack DIY site had spectra in various sizes, but I can't find it at the moment. Maybe someone else has better organized bookmarks.
      Rick