Re: [Hammock Camping] Springer section hike

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
      > My milage chart shows Icewater Spring Shelter, which is 3 miles
      north of
      > Newfound Gap at 206.8 Fontana dam is about 163 miles.

      OK, my bad. I just grabbed the biggest number on that line in the
      data book without paying close enough attention. (The 250 miles I
      mentioned is actually the mileage to Damascus, Va.) So yes, your
      plan of ~200 in 15 days is reasonable, particulary with your nice
      light rig.

      > I will be testing a Fanatic Fringe pack for the hike, and a few
      other goodies as
      > well. Stove will be my CoffeeStove. My main decision, still
      remaining, is
      > whether to do the hike in Chaco sandals or in Gortex trail
      runners. I am
      > leaning to the sandals, using sealskinz for wet grass and rain.

      Sounds good. I have seen many thru hikers using sandals, but I
      can't quite see myself taking that step.